PDA

View Full Version : Running hot

Landy7205
06-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I noticed that the engine in running hot, even when it's just sitting idle in my driveway. I changed the thermostat to a new - 88°C / 190°F version, also the gaskets & O-ring as well this weekend and still, no change.

Do 2.25 series engines have a reputation for running hot?

I just order a new radiator cap, I hope that is the solution. There is no antifreeze leakage. Any suggestions or opinions would be great. Thanks again.

Tom109
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
No, they don't run hot, quite the opposite if the cooling systems is in good, clean condition. The 2.25 was over-cooled from the factory. I been running an 88C t-stat for years, year-round, without overheating problems.

The trouble is that many systems are less than optimal and often full of mineral/rust/sludge build-up, restricting flow and heat transfer. Some will run a lower temp t-stat in these conditions, but this is a band-aid not a cure. It may require repair/replacement of the radiator.

You could check the surface of your radiator (an IR temp gun is ideal for this) to see if there is a uniform tempearture across the core. If you have hot/cold spots it's an indication of a blockage.

Tom P.

Landy7205
06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Tom....I'll try flushing the system with a radiator-cleaning product to clear out any rust or corrosion in the system this weekend.

Hopefully that will do it...if not, I'll grab a IR temp gun.

Disco96JSWB
06-01-2009, 05:09 PM
The IR gun is the way to go. It's handy for knowing whether the A/C is working up-to-par at home too.

How do you know it's running hot if there's no coolant loss? Could it be a temp gauge or sending unit issue?

- Jeremy

Landy7205
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Very good point. I'm basing this on a 37 year old gauge.

rvrsrvc
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I agree, confirm it's an issue with a temperature device other the Genuine, Original, Possibly Suspect device that came with the car! FYI- My dad brought Lucas to the United States back in the late 50's to set up their distribution network. He is the true Prince of Darkness and his basement is full of unobtanium Lucas parts, some that may or may not work, right out of the box, 50 years on!

Landy7205
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks again....I'll be checking it out with the IR gun Friday. My old man is grabbing one from work for the weekend.