PDA

View Full Version : Raised Air Intake..

Landy7205
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Has anyone put a raised air intake on a SIII ?

So far I was told that there is no longer a straight "bolt on” Raised Air Intake for the Series Vehicles.

However, Mantec offers an adaptable version, built for the N.A. Defenders

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6960-raised-air-intake-series-iia-iii-defender-90110-na.aspx

It will consist of blocking off the fluted top of the oil bath air cleaner, cut a new hole in the air cleaner and weld a ring flange to the cleaner (for the Raised Air Intake hose to fasten to).

Thoughts, comments, tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't have that much confidence in myself to do this job cleanly.

Thanks again

airbornrover
07-02-2009, 03:52 PM
there are still parts for snorkels you can buy. Most people just go with the diy path goes its so easy to do. Known people to use exhaust tubing or pvc for the straight sections. Just make sure its water tight at the joints. If you have the oil bath air filter or want to use the bath filter you can either purchase one that is made for the snorkel fitment or modify your own filter. There are pictures/drawings floating around so that you get an idea of whats involved or there. If you want to throw down some dough for geniune items i would check out the UK ebay or the various rover vendors/military rover vendors over there. PA Blanchards is one off the top of my head, quick phone call to them and they can tell you if they have it in stock. Also seen cone filters used such as K&N or that new green dry filter element on the end of the snorkel. Weather or not they bypass the engine bay air filter i dont know.

Ren Ching
07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
get yourself a defender 2.25 or 2.5 petrol or diesel air filter housing. they hold a good paper element and are more or less the same dimensions as the oil bath, with the added benefit of already having a place to mount a hose onto. hope that makes sense. there should be more of these floating around these days as various folks convert their newly imported junk to more advanced modern junk. :)