PDA

View Full Version : why I was interested in a frame

Rob P
07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I went to Hartlaub's wrecking yard in Bonneville today to look at a '67 IIa 109 county (4 dr at least) with a trop top and side steps etc so on so forth.

The frame is COMPLETELY shot. There is a section on the passenger rear about 2 feet long and 2 inches wide of frame hole that Solihul didn't intend on. All 4 corners are rusted through with the front passenger showing signs of an old repair.

The good news is that it is ALL and I mean ALL there. Nothing was missing that I noticed. ( I know, how would you notice something that wasn't there?) It looked like a complete vehicle.

He wanted $3500 for it. When they had it on Ebay they only got the auction up to $1025. My question is........whats it worth really? Here's a picture:

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!BV2zkqg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DkEjlLly2R-BKUnt,(d(Q~~_3.JPG

siiirhd88
07-25-2009, 10:31 PM
With a chassis that bad, it is not a $3500 Series. If it runs, and the body panels are not corroded, it might be a $1000 Series, due to the trop top and rack. I wouldn't give $1000, though, unless it ran well, had OD, and had all the right bits.

Bob

Rob P
07-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Good to know. I am confused with the shifter arrangement. It shows 3 shifters....black, black, yellow and red. The two black would be for 1-4 and high/low and the yellow is for 4x4 engage correct? What's the red one for?

spechols
07-26-2009, 12:18 PM
With two black shifters, it sounds like it has an overdrive.
Tall Black = standard gears 1,2,3,4
Short Black = overdrive (forward) normal (back)
Yellow = Four wheel high range (down)
Red = Four wheel low range (back) also return to two wheel drive (move back and than forward – yellow will pop up)

Rob P
07-26-2009, 06:34 PM
ah see, thanks professor

rvrsrvc
07-26-2009, 08:40 PM
FYI I paid that for my truck cab, 6cyl and no od. Intact bulkhead and better frame but the body not as nice as the one in the pic. I felt that maybe I paid too much, but it was a IIa and truck cab, which is what I wanted.

Rob P
07-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Soooo basically if I were to sell my D-1 for an average amount I should be able to buy a running driving Series truck that is cosmetically challanged?

galen211
07-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Soooo basically if I were to sell my D-1 for an average amount I should be able to buy a running driving Series truck that is cosmetically challanged?

IMO yes. Two important things in the purchase of a Series truck. The frame and bulkhead. If those two things are in decent shape all else can be fixed or repaired over time.

crazyfish
07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
a 67 should have the six cyl engine..... Everything should work correctly, so it's down to the frame and some odd bits, not the gauges, wipers etc etc. That's what adds up quickly.
$1,000 would be nice, $1500 wouldn't be too silly.

Rob P
07-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Thankyou Mr. Fish. Now if only I can find that woman whose late husband was an african safari hunter who had to have one and stored it on blocks in a humidity controlled environment and has no idea what she has and just wants it out of her garage.