PDA

View Full Version : Rover advise.

Rhich
11-18-2005, 08:22 PM
What are the better years/ engine combinations to look for.
Also when looking for/ at a used Rover what should I look out for.

crazyfish
11-19-2005, 02:48 AM
better narrow that down, Range Rovers, Disco's or Series....

Rhich
11-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Not to get off on the wrong foot but I posted the question under the Range Rover section because the information I was looking for pertained to that model.

crazyfish
11-19-2005, 11:27 AM
lol, bad on my part! Hit "new posts" and didn't even notice! Tom Bache is one to ask..

And don't worry, we like people who use the wrong foot often!

jason
11-25-2005, 11:57 PM
A 94-95 will have the nicer interior, like the Disco's, and I believe the 4.2 is offered in that year. Personal experience has proven the air suspension to be a neat novelty, but by the third failure, seems to wear off. Look out for rust and rot in the usual places, and if it has all four bumper end caps, you know it's never been off road! The '88 is the last year with a diff lock, as far as I know, and the '93 came with electronic traction control which is quite amazing, but costly to repair if the ABS sensors go. As with any used car, extensive service records can make or break the deal. High mileage shouldn't matter much if the truck was cared for properly. I hope this helps a little.

Rhich
11-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Many thanks for the advice.
I’ve been looking at a 1988 and a 1989, mostly for an “entry level” Rover.
The area where I live is out in the boonies and with snow and what not a sturdy Rover would be the ticket.
Unfortunately right around this time of year I could use one badly but can’t venture to far away from home to look at any, I own a Christmas tree farm and after Thanksgiving we start to get busy so it may not be until after Christmas that I can really start to look but then I should be looking at Christmas gifts and not Rovers….
There is a blue 1989 in PA that appears to be just about what the doctor ordered.
If I was to get, say the 1989 what should I look for in that year?

crazyfish
11-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Is the blue one about $1200? Owned by Chris Martin? If it is, he lives about 8 blocks from me. I know that vehicle..... let me know if this is the one.
The floors are mostly missing, needs new shocks badly, headliner should be ripped out....

Rhich
11-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Yes, that's the one (pretty sure anyway)
Floors shouldn't be an issue as I have a MIG welder and sheet metal brake here.
Hard part is getting to see it and knowing what to look for.
I don't want to jump into a really nice Rover because I want to "tinker" and have been thinking about a slight lift and those types of things.
With 200 acres of my own and 3000 surrounding it I have some trails that are in need of exploration.
I sent Chris an E-mail but he has not responded.

Peter
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Not sure if you saw this.

http://crazyfishdesigns.com/chris/

His cell phone # is 215-317-5005
or
chris at crazyfishdesigns.com

Rhich
11-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes, I saw the pictures…. Love the color…
Hey ?????
Are there two “Crazyfish” ?????
I see a Crazy fish answering the posts and the link is to Crazyfish…
(Took me awhile to get that one) :rolleyes:

Peter
11-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Yes, I saw the pictures…. Love the color…
Hey ?????
I see a Crazy fish answering the posts and the link is to Crazyfish…
(Took me awhile to get that one) :rolleyes:

crazyfish = Sean Roche.

Crazyfish is also the name of Sean's biz and Chris (selling the Rangie) works with Sean. Hope that helps.

crazyfish
11-28-2005, 10:22 PM
:

Let's hope not, the world has it's hands full with one!

Rhich
11-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Let's hope not, the world has it's hands full with one!
I guess so…. Had me worried for a moment :eek:
Anyway, Chris and I are working out the details and I think I’ll be buying it soon.
Anything I should add to the “wish list” ?
How hard is it to convert to polly bushings?
Did the 89 have springs or air bags?
I ordered a Atlantic British catalog, is there any other recommended suppliers?
Which engine does the 89 have?
(wish I didn’t give away my 9000lbs. winch)