PDA

View Full Version : Diff swap problem - HELP

spechols
07-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Gents,
OK – so the axel will not slide into the roller barring in the rear of the swivel ball. It gets stuck on the last small 45 axel chamfer just before the axel barring surface. Are there any good tricks to get this in?
Thanks - Stuart

scatterling
07-31-2009, 05:54 PM
it should slide in easily. Are you using the same parts that you took off other than the diff?

Rob P
07-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Stand the axle housing up on end to take the sag out of the shaft as you slide it in? I've no idea

spechols
07-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Solved it and I am an idiot.
I broke an old rule – “put things back where you found them”
As I was thinking about TeriAnn’s ideas (she is always right), it occurred to me that I was rebuilding both swivel-balls on the bench at the same time. And that “the balls” are the same left or right but the swivels are different. I was changing from RHD to LHD so I was careful to be sure I got the correct steering arms on the correct swivels left and right. However, I was not concerned about the balls – after all they are the same – right. Well that is true unless someone has previously replaced the half-shaft bearing on one side. So, I removed both swivel-balls and tried both axels in each ball. Sure enough, that was the problem. I had switched the balls on the bench when I was rebuilding both.
So remember like your mother said – “put things back where you found them” even if you don’t thank it matters.

scatterling
07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
That was the same problem we ran into on the Rover rebuild. The bearing and the race didn't match and so would not fit. Glad you were able to get it fixed.

Rob P
07-31-2009, 10:48 PM
I am sure there is a good joke in here about balls but I am going to stay away from it.