PDA

View Full Version : Now entering the slippery slope of repairs

Rob P
08-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Ok, problem. My front door locks on my '04 disco have stopped working. First the passenger side now the driver's side. They still lock the door when used manually and unlock on the first pull of the handle inside. The solonoid doen't move them anymore though.

Is this a common problem with an equally common fix?

Also the front passenger window gear is now making a popping sound as if teeth were missing off of a nylon gear. This problem did not occur at the same time as the door locks though.

scatterling
08-14-2009, 06:28 AM
...as we're already talking about door locking complaints I'll parasite my complaint onto Rob's. (Maybe also related to his)
My passenger rear lock ('99 D1) has started clicking when locking.
All the doors will click once and lock but the other door will click 7 or eight times while locking.
Rob, did yours do this before it stopped working?

oh, and my windows are working great! :D

03springer
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Don`t know much about the door locks but I had the same noise from my driver side window and it ended up being the 1/4 moon looking thingy that has the gear teeth on it fell off. The spot welds that hold it togeather broke.

Go figure:mad: I`m either going to find someone with a spot welder or order a new regulator.

Rob P
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
My door makes a regular thunk thunk thunk sound as it goes past the spots where the teeth are missing. I had the door skin off once before to look into the lock problem and it appears to me that you have to remove the upper window track i.e. the top of the door to remove the lock solonoid part. I stopped there and said heck with it.

Where is Mr. Roverlab when you need him? Oh that's right, he gets paid for this kinda thing.......

Rob P
08-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I`m either going to find someone with a spot welder or order a new regulator.

Could you drill out the spot welds and bolt them together with some grade 5-8 smallish bolts?

rvrsrvc
08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Regulators are cheap enough and I wouldn't recommend used as you'll likely end up with the same problem. If the regulator is missing teeth, not fixable. Broken weld? Likely to have a twist so it may fail after bolting or welding it back together!
Neil, it's likely to be a faulty door lock actuator. Or, it's loose on it's mount and vibrating. There's a micro switch inside and they are sensitive- slightly out of adjustment and will cycle if out of range.
I've had D2 front latch failures, and rear doors and 5th door. Ok, I'll say it: I've seen all of the same components fail on one car over a 6 month period!
Rob, the mechanical part of the latch is working but the integral lock motor has failed. If all 5 went at the same time, I'd suspect some other sinister plot, but if one at a time, then I'd bet on latches. If there are no other electrical issues on a particular door, then I would not suspect a harness issue.

Today's advice is not free. It will require a purchase of a malted or carbonated or natural spring beverage at some point.

If you are not prepared to meet these demands, do not read.

(Insert sinister maniacal laugh here.)

scatterling
08-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Regulators are cheap enough and I wouldn't recommend used as you'll likely end up with the same problem. If the regulator is missing teeth, not fixable. Broken weld? Likely to have a twist so it may fail after bolting or welding it back together!
Neil, it's likely to be a faulty door lock actuator. Or, it's loose on it's mount and vibrating. There's a micro switch inside and they are sensitive- slightly out of adjustment and will cycle if out of range.
I've had D2 front latch failures, and rear doors and 5th door. Ok, I'll say it: I've seen all of the same components fail on one car over a 6 month period!
Rob, the mechanical part of the latch is working but the integral lock motor has failed. If all 5 went at the same time, I'd suspect some other sinister plot, but if one at a time, then I'd bet on latches. If there are no other electrical issues on a particular door, then I would not suspect a harness issue.

Today's advice is not free. It will require a purchase of a malted or carbonated or natural spring beverage at some point.

If you are not prepared to meet these demands, do not read.

(Insert sinister maniacal laugh here.)

TAAAA - DAAAAAH!!!!
(insert drum roll crescendo and fireworks here.)

...thanks Mr. Srvc :D

Rob P
08-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Rob, the mechanical part of the latch is working but the integral lock motor has failed. ...I'd bet on latches.

So would you recommend that I get new latches? What do they run apiece?

Don't read the above if you are charging money! (kinda late now aint it?)