PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye LR3....Hello Tdi

Landy7205
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Except it's no Defender. I had to do it. Daily work commute went from a 10 mile total commute to a 150 mile trip.

So the LR3 is gone. I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Jetta Tdi. Only 12K miles on her and just traded in from a lease, looks brand new. This is definitly a transition for me. Not only is this my first "car"......it's my first non-Land Rover. Luckily, the Series III is going no where. Just when I thought I couldn't love the SIII anymore.

Rob P
08-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Well, Um, Congradulations? It'll be a nice ride and last a long time I'm sure. Sure aint a truck though. I had an old VW Rabbit N/A Diesel that had 190k on it and it was still a decent car. I killed it. It wasn't supposed to end life as an 18 year old's 2nd car but that was it's final destination.

Landy7205
08-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks.....I am happy, a congratulations was in order.

I am however now keeping an eye open for an under valued Discovery I. In my werid rover logic, a D1 would be a justified purchase.

Rob P
08-22-2009, 07:00 PM
I bought my 96 3 years ago for $4400 and paid too much. I know this now but at the time I thought it was a good deal. That was before I got onto the Rover board. Now I would say to look for one that is "cosmetically challanged" (my term thankyou very much) with around 80k miles on it for $1500.

Ken Heaton
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
So the LR3 is gone. I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Jetta Tdi. Only 12K miles on her and just traded in from a lease, looks brand new. This is definitly a transition for me. Not only is this my first "car"......it's my first non-Land Rover. Luckily, the Series III is going no where. Just when I thought I couldn't love the SIII anymore.

I bought a new Jetta 2.5L when my Freelander died, I really like the Jetta, but I miss the old Freeloader. Fortunately my Series should be on the road soon.

Ken Heaton

Rob P
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey Ken, when you say your MGB is undergoing an "engine bay upgrade" is that another way of saying you are pulling the 4 cyl out and putting in a 289 ford engine?

Ever see the Monster Miatas? http://www.monstermiata.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsh4cEhEWlg

Ken Heaton
08-28-2009, 07:32 AM
I am putting in a CAT D9 diesel engine, lots of low end torque.