PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood Saturday November 21st

Frank84
09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
It time for another trip to Ringwood!

November 21st, Saturday (rain or shine)
Meet at 9am at the house. We depart 9:15 and generally finish up around 5pm. PM me for the address.

Bring lunch, work gloves, and a few garbage bags. Space is limited per the park's request.

grnthng
09-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Count me in again Frank, let me know if there's anything you need!

Frank84
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
You got it!

GadgetRick
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
As always, count me in.

Frank84
10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
As always, count me in.

Thanks Rick! Looks like I'm around 8-10 trucks right now so we're approaching the limit. Some people from Land Rover Paramus are coming as well with a truck or two.

For this trip we need to clear a bunch of trees from the path so bring saws, clippers, etc if you've got them. I took a run through on foot and counted 7 trees fallen across the trail a few weeks ago. We could try to follow the ATV paths around them but I think it would be a good idea to clear them and return to the original path - the mountain bikers will appreciate it I'm sure. Plus, it will allow us to make a winter run if we can get a pile of stuff ready to go during this trip.

rmuller
10-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey Frank,

If space is still available, can you put me down? Finally got my engine rebuilt and the truck back on the road!

Frank84
10-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey Frank,

If space is still available, can you put me down? Finally got my engine rebuilt and the truck back on the road!

Your down! Glad the truck is working again - its been a while!

grnthng
11-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Frank, I am not going to make this one... a bunch of things have come up, there's just not enough time in a day some times!
Looking forward to the spring outing though!
Just curious, are you not doing the Sundays anymore?
I hope this will make room for somebody else, maybe somebody new so they can get their feet wet.... have fun!

Luis

Frank84
11-02-2009, 08:36 AM
No problem Luis. I'm going to try to get a snow run in this year so look for something in late February.

As for sundays - I try to switch back and forth between the two days because some people can do one day and not the other. I tried doing two days in a row once but didn't get enough of a turn out so I went back to just one day.

thechrisr
11-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Frank,
Im inn and will bring the Chainsaw as well.
-Chris L.

Frank84
11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Frank,
Im inn and will bring the Chainsaw as well.
-Chris L.

Awesome! I just bought a new chain to put on mine.

rmuller
11-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Unfortunately I'm out of this one... laundry list of things to do on the truck before it can see a trail.

Rob P
11-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Now if you can just find somebody with a gas powered chop saw you'll be in buisness.

Does our former club president Jason work at a rental store in Jersey? Is he still alive?

Frank84
11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
No problem Ryan, I've got a bit of list going myself.

Gas powered chop saw would be sweet! Closest we ever came was a rented generator and a sawzall. Doesn't make any sparks like the chop saw - for some reason I didn't think he park would like sparks flying all over the woods.

Believe it or not Jason still is alive. He may even make a guest appearance for the clean up...

Frank84
11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Here's some pictures courtesy of one of our new members, Greg:

http://picasaweb.google.com/seagirtlight/ROVERSRingwood21Nov09#

The trails were wet and muddy but we still made it through with an occasional tow.

We got quite a bit done and Tom B. clocked the run and said it was the most miles we've ever done in the woods here - about 10. For the first time, we didn't get out of the woods until after dark.

I lost track of the number of fallen trees we cleared off the trail, but Chris went through a couple chains on the saw. This should help future trips go a bit smoother and lessen the number of side trails created by ATVs. We also managed to haul out 15 or so tires which Tom was kind enough to find an outlet to dispose of them properly.

Next trip in March!

Rob P
11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I really need to try to make one of these trips. Nothing says "I love my Rover" like somebody's discarded muddy dripping thrown out tires leaving tire DNA on your roof.

grnthng
11-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Frank, you got stuck twice..... I can't believe it! Great pics!
You can't beat a day like that.... Rovers; mud; chainsaws; old tires; chainsaws!
Hey Frank, can you make the chainsaws an official part of Ringwood?:p
Allready looking foward to the next run!

Cheers,
Luis

Frank84
11-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Frank, you got stuck twice..... I can't believe it! Great pics!
You can't beat a day like that.... Rovers; mud; chainsaws; old tires; chainsaws!
Hey Frank, can you make the chainsaws an official part of Ringwood?:p
Allready looking foward to the next run!

Yeah, I got stuck - just wanted to make sure the winch was operating properly.

Chainsaws may be needed again, but right now we have all the downed trees removed off the trail so it looks to be in good shape. I'll check again in February though before the next trip, we may need them again if we get some good winter storms.

eli.s
11-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Frank i really had a great time, it was a nice day and what we did was cool. it was fun to get stuck - those bloody tires - i it was amazing to see what these cars can really do!
I've attached my pictures, you have some good ones.
BTW this is the link i told you about www.camel4x4.com

http://picasaweb.google.com/elispigler/Ringwood112009#

can't wait for the next one.
Eli

Rob P
12-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Very nice pictures. Looks like a good time.

Frank84
12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks Eli - great shots!

GrFa
12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Man I always wanted to go on one of these clean ups. Seems like I never have a Rover.

Were all those RRCs lifted? I am trying to see what I can do without lifting mine just yet. I have delusions of it being a daily driver/boat haul/off road capable truck.

Rob P
12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Not sure if they were all lifted or not but a 40mm lift is somewhere around 2" and would be very livable with I would imagine.

I got 3" of lift on my Discovery and am thinking about the front 2 degree radius arms to restore the factory like steering feel. I am sure the 110,000 miles have absolutely nothing at all to do with the vague steering feel.

GrFa
12-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I am sure the 110,000 miles have absolutely nothing at all to do with the vague steering feel.

Check out the track rod/ball joints. On mine the ball joints were toast and the track rod was bent. It made for "interesting" steering. This is with 99k miles.

Rob P
12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Check out the track rod/ball joints. On mine the ball joints were toast and the track rod was bent. It made for "interesting" steering. This is with 99k miles.

I always associate ball joints with A-arm front suspension systems. I'll have to give it a look see. I know that when sitting still when I crank the wheel back and forth I can watch the axle move left and right about 3/8ths of an inch give or take.

Frank84
12-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Man I always wanted to go on one of these clean ups. Seems like I never have a Rover.

Were all those RRCs lifted? I am trying to see what I can do without lifting mine just yet. I have delusions of it being a daily driver/boat haul/off road capable truck.

All the RRC's had a small lift - just 1 or 2 inches. It isn't necessary but that little difference along with a slightly taller tire simply makes it easier. Tom B. took his LWB through the same trail two years ago on stock tires, no lift, stuck in high range, and pulling a trailer. And some how he made it look easy.

Rob P
12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Tom B. took his LWB through the same trail two years ago on stock tires, no lift, stuck in high range, and pulling a trailer. And some how he made it look easy.

They don't call him the "Prez" for nothing.