PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Series 1 80" fire tender

Disco96JSWB
11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
This truck has been at Robesonia a couple of times.

Runs great. Everything works. Has a few blemishes from 55 years of service. Brakes and swivels recently rebuilt. Galvanized bulkhead from the factory. Chassis and bulkhead are rust-free. Original, apart from the fuel pump (I have it but it doesn't like the ethanol in today's petrol). Clayton heater and trafficators included but not pictured. Full tilt (top) is worn out.

The problem is that it needs a roll bar for off-roading, and the fuel tank location isn't ideal either. The original steering boxes are imprecise, and the original axles are narrower than Series II/III axles, so steering lock is diminished. (Our 1951 project 80" will address these issues.) This old fire tender deserves a life of puttering around a neighborhood or farm, or maybe even a full restoration.

I'm posting it here before advertising it more widely. PM for more information.

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/bannister556/1953LandRover80FireTender?feat=directlink

Jeremy Bannister

galen211
11-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Noooo!!!!! Don't do it Jeremy.

I want this in the worst way. I love that truck.

Rineheitzgabot
11-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Price?

scatterling
11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
WHAAAAAAA?!!! :eek:

There must be some way that you don't have to sell this, but if it must be sold, could someone in the club PLEASE buy this so it stays here!!

crazyfish
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
damn, I love that thing. Someone here better buy it.

Rob P
11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
The picture of it new from LRO magazine is tooo cool.

Disco96JSWB
11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
While we appreciate the words of encouragement, Jake and I are going to move ahead in our efforts to sell this old Rover. We're determined to build the other one as a more capable off-roader.

- Jeremy

grnthng
11-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Jeremy, you did an awesome job on that steering wheel wrap. I didn't catch that at Robesonia.... is that a Land Rover part?
Anyway, that was my first experience watching a series in action and it just looked like a lot of fun. Although, I know what you mean on the roll protection!
I agree with everybody here, I hope it stays!

Good Luck Sir,
Luis

Disco96JSWB
12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Just because I'm here at work on Christmas Eve doesn't mean I can't be thinking about Land Rovers . . .

The problem is that it needs a roll bar for off-roading, and the fuel tank location isn't ideal either. The original steering boxes are imprecise, and the original axles are narrower than Series II/III axles, so steering lock is diminished.

So after a few interesting discussions with some far-flung individuals, we've decided to take the rear tub off the '53 and resolve the fuel tank location issue and get a rollbar on it. We rented some garage space not too far from home, so we can keep the '53 and build the '51 too.

Merry Christmas!

- Jeremy

Rob P
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
cool, glad you are keeping it. Sorry you have to work. I could have worked today, my company is open, but I take off on xmas eve to spend it with my 16 year old son. That's our christmas day together.

scatterling
12-25-2009, 09:16 AM
We rented some garage space not too far from home, so we can keep the '53 and build the '51 too.

It's a Christmas miracle!!
Really glad you didn't sell the '53.