View Full Version : Copied from the mailing list

Evan
01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Posted by: "Tom Bache" tbache9248@aol.com tbache9248
Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:45 pm (PST)

Hi Everyone,
While we are waiting for the newsletter to arrive in the mail, just a
couple of dates to have in mind.

Feb 19-21st an off road weekend near Lock Haven, PA.
The Sat drive will take us out all day and we will have a group
dinner, you will need to find your own lodging for this.
if you use Hotels.com or similar you will find a wide range of
possibilities, if there is snow on the ground, tire chains are a must.
One outing will be for winch only equipped vehicles, there is a
club event fee for this, which covers dinner Sat eve.
Contact Tom for details
tbache9248@aol.com

galen211
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
FYI, Sven, Stuart and I have done this trail and it is a blast. In the snow I imagine it would be even more fun.

Hotels in State College or Lock Haven would both be plenty close.

Rob P
01-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Anybody know how to get ahold of Sven? I'm trying to get chains from him. Could use them for this.

mlp141
01-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Would it be blasphemous if I showed up in my Jeep? This might be a very doable weekend for me. It's in between sports seasons so I can play hookie on the Friday and have no commitments on Saturday.

G -- what kind of trails are they? I love taking my truck off-road, but since it's my DD and relatively new, I'm not into scraping the hell out of the paint driving through tall brush and such.

galen211
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Tough call, in winter the brush is probably not that bad. In the summer I would say no way.

The trail is an old railroad bed, most of it is pretty flat with off shots all over the place. The key feature of the trail is that where each bridge used to be (all wiped out by Hurricane Agnes in the 70's) you have to decend the railroad bed, cross the creek and drive back up the other side. In summer the water runs at bumper height in most places. As long as things are frozen it probably won't be bad but in a thaw I wouldn't even consider taking a vehicle with computers near there. The water would be running high in a thaw.

This is a poor picture but you get an idea on depth in some places.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Orviston7.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Orviston9.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Orviston8.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Orviston4.jpg

Frank84
01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
definitely going to have to make this one!

Disco96JSWB
01-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Looks like the perfect application for an ex-MOD diesel - with a snorkel.
Anybody have one I could borrow for the weekend?

sven
01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Anybody know how to get ahold of Sven? I'm trying to get chains from him. Could use them for this.

Sorry Rob, but Im working on getting another RRC, so Im keeping the chains.

Just order a pair from tirechains.com (Johnstown, PA) you'll get them in a day.

sven
01-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I talking to a local Jeep guy and he said this trail took about 8 hours to get through during the winter. I believe it. I wish I could make this, but I cant :(

Rob P
01-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry Rob, but Im working on getting another RRC, so Im keeping the chains.

Ok, thought you forgot about me. I PM'd you on Dweb about 2 weeks ago.

mlp141
01-10-2010, 05:06 PM
We are very interested in making the trip up -- especially since we'll be close to and can visit my beloved alma mater -- but if Galen's right, we'd rather ride shotgun with someone else on the trails.

Can we get a list of who's going, maybe with some more details? I know that Tom e-mailed this out but I figure that most folks do look at and use this site.

--MLP

Rob P
01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I know that Tom e-mailed this out

Seems like I need to get onto Tom's E-mail list somehow. I seem to have missed this although I have gotten it on here now.

http://www.negotiationtraining.com.au/images/resources/mailbox.jpg

spechols
01-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Seems like I need to get onto Tom's E-mail list somehow. I seem to have missed this although I have gotten it on here now.
Likewise - How do I get on the email list?

crazyfish
01-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Actually, I've been trying to KILL the list for years. I think all members should post on the forum.

Other members may think differently.

Ivar
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Actually, I've been trying to KILL the list for years. I think all members should post on the forum.

I agree. I went through the same frustrating process of "I didnt know there was a mailing list" to "OK then, how do I get onto it" for a while until I was added to it.

Someone added me ... not sure who. And this means every new member will eventually go through this cycle.

Frank84
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM

No arguments here.

Disco96JSWB
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM

I never look here.

mlp141
01-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Kill, kill, kill .... list-serves are so 1998!

spechols
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Perhaps we can simply find a way to forward the list to this forum. Or open the list up to everyone.

Frank84
01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Perhaps we can simply find a way to forward the list to this forum. Or open the list up to everyone.

The list is "open" to everyone. Just email Tom B. and he'll add your name (check out the contacts link on the main page.

Most of the time if there is an event sent out on the yahoo list, like this one, someone posts it up on the forum.

Evan
01-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Frank, Have you got something new in the driveway?

Rob P
01-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Oh this is so old news. You need to work less hours Evan. These posts are from the Rovers on the Rocks folder first page.

10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
galen211-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, Frank, is there something you need to tell us about??

#7 10-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Rob P --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank84
'95 D90

You mean like the D90 in his signature line? Only thing I knew that Frank had that had a 90" like wheel base was a Tracker.

Rob P
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM

How on earth did you get to over 10,000 posts? Maybe you don't work enough?

Frank84
01-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Rob's right - it is hardly even new any more!

mdirvin
01-13-2010, 02:12 AM
What trail is this? I would like to go is it possible to do in a D1 with 2" lift and mt tires without chains. This is about 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks
Matt

galen211
01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
What trail is this? I would like to go is it possible to do in a D1 with 2" lift and mt tires without chains. This is about 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks
Matt

A stock truck could do this trail, but in the winter I would suggest purchasing chains for at least one axle.

mlp141
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
G -- so the trail is easy, but may have some deep water?

galen211
01-13-2010, 10:45 AM
G -- so the trail is easy, but may have some deep water?

I would say yes. You do go through an old railroad tunnel on the trail, that is kind of cool. Most of it is just flat railroad bed, the water crossings are the hardest part IF the water is running high.

mlp141
01-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, I think we might head out. Off-roading and a trip to State College is a nice combination.

Question though -- if my friend Mike joins us, the two of us will be driving Rubicons. Is that too much to ask for :rolleyes:

galen211
01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
You'll have to write Tom and ask.

It's a public place so nobody really has rights to turn anyone away.

Disco96JSWB
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, I think we might head out. Off-roading and a trip to State College is a nice combination.

Question though -- if my friend Mike joins us, the two of us will be driving Rubicons. Is that too much to ask for :rolleyes:

I vote in favor of the idea. If you get approval, could Jake and I ride along?

- Jeremy

mlp141
01-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Got the OK from Tom. Looks like Mike (2-dr Rubicon) and me (4-dr Rubicon) are in.

Jeremy -- certainly -- you are both more than welcome to ride along.

grnthng
01-17-2010, 11:58 PM
How's everybody doing, havn't been on here for a while so, I hope everyone had a great x-mas and a happy new year! I wan't to try and make this run, If I could find some better tires for the long run, my TSL's are done... I've been shopping around!
This one looks fender friendly!

Hammertime
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Is there a limit on the amount of people that can go to this thing? How do we know who gets to go ?

Hammertime
01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Where is this taking place? Directions? Are Jill and I allowed to come along ? Please pretty please.

mlp141
01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I would think that the more the merrier, but you'd have to ask Tom. Likewise, he's the man with the details.

Frank84
02-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Where is this taking place? Directions? Are Jill and I allowed to come along ? Please pretty please.

I don't think Tom was limited the # of people/trucks. The only limitations I heard were for a winch only run at some point. Non-winch trucks can come on all but one of the trails. Tom and a few people scoped out some places late in the Fall for the event and he said he had to winch quite a few times to make it through one of the trails. It wouldn't be practical to have, say, one winch for every four trucks (like usual odds) because it might burn out the winch and/or take way too long.

galen211
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't think Tom was limited the # of people/trucks. The only limitations I heard were for a winch only run at some point. Non-winch trucks can come on all but one of the trails. Tom and a few people scoped out some places late in the Fall for the event and he said he had to winch quite a few times to make it through one of the trails. It wouldn't be practical to have, say, one winch for every four trucks (like usual odds) because it might burn out the winch and/or take way too long.

They must have really done some exploring b/c the main trail there is pretty easy. I'd like to see what they got into.

Frank84
02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
They must have really done some exploring b/c the main trail there is pretty easy. I'd like to see what they got into.

I think they hooked up with some locals from a 4WD club in the area and got a tour.

Rob P
02-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I think they hooked up with some locals from a 4WD club in the area and got a tour.

And snickers and gufaws too I bet. "You want to take those trucks behind our jeeps through here?"

It's a Rover thing, they don't want to understand.

sven
02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
If any of you guys go, please post directions. I wont be able to go this time but Id like to check these trails out as I live only 1/2 hour away.

Hammertime
02-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey is thing a go no matter the weather? I mean I hope noone weenies out.

mlp141
02-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Got an e-mail from Tom:

"Looks like the snow is going to win this one and we will postpone the
event until March when we can reschedule.

New date will be announced on the list."

Disco96JSWB
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Got an e-mail from Tom:

"Looks like the snow is going to win this one and we will postpone the
event until March when we can reschedule.

New date will be announced on the list."

I was just this minute beginning to wonder about what we were going to do . . .

- Jeremy

galen211
05-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Next off-road event is June 25-27th at Red Roof Lodge. A replay of the cancelled event from February. 2 trips, one for winch equipped, one for non-winch vehicles. As before secure your lodging near Lock Haven and a group dinner at camp at the end of a full day out on the trail. We are going to wheel!

Broke this out from Tom's other post. Should be a good time. Between State College, Lock Haven and the state parks and forests there are lots of close places to stay if anyone is interested.

I hope to make this one and if the Rover gods are willing in my own truck!