PDA

View Full Version : parabolics and master cylinder

benji215
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
i was thinking about putting parabolics on my 88 and was wondering if anyone has these on their truck and could tell me anything about them? i really want a little more articulation, smoother ride on road and i dont want to change my ride height (i like the way it looks at this height) so if anybody could help me out i would appreciate it :) also does anyone know the easiest way to swap my brake master cylinder? thanks

siiirhd88
01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
I have RN parabolics on the wife's 109 three door, two leaf fronts and three leaf rears. The ride is definately smoother and more comfortable, but I think the load capacity is reduced as the rear squats a bit more and sometimes hits the bump stops under load. I can't say about a change in ride height due to the Range Rover axle swap, but fromwhat I have read you could expect a slight increase in height with the parabolics.

All of our Series trucks are RHD, so removing the clutch and brake master cylinders is easy. Most people recommend removal of the left wing in order to change the master cylinders in a LHD truck, as you can then remove the entire pedal tower. If you leave the wing in place you might be able to gain additional access by removing the left side mud shield and steering box cover. You could also unbolt the wing to bulkhead bolts and just flex the wing outward to get better access.

Bob

benji215
01-09-2010, 11:43 PM
I have RN parabolics on the wife's 109 three door, two leaf fronts and three leaf rears. The ride is definately smoother and more comfortable, but I think the load capacity is reduced as the rear squats a bit more and sometimes hits the bump stops under load. I can't say about a change in ride height due to the Range Rover axle swap, but fromwhat I have read you could expect a slight increase in height with the parabolics.

All of our Series trucks are RHD, so removing the clutch and brake master cylinders is easy. Most people recommend removal of the left wing in order to change the master cylinders in a LHD truck, as you can then remove the entire pedal tower. If you leave the wing in place you might be able to gain additional access by removing the left side mud shield and steering box cover. You could also unbolt the wing to bulkhead bolts and just flex the wing outward to get better access.

Bob

thank you that helps me out a lot how heavy of a load are you carrying when you hit the bump stops and do they make the springs with a higher load rating for series?

siiirhd88
01-10-2010, 11:10 AM
thank you that helps me out a lot how heavy of a load are you carrying when you hit the bump stops and do they make the springs with a higher load rating for series?

There is probably 400 pounds or more in the back of the wife's 109 when I note hitting the bump stops. Under normal conditions (tropical top, bed empty) it is fine.

The front parabolics that everyone sels are two leaf. You can buy two leaf, three leaf and four leaf parabolic rear springs. I was in one truck with two leaf rears, and it swayed and bounced too much in my opinion. It was only used for off road and had great articulation, which is what the owner wanted.

The three leaf rears have met all of my expectations for daily use. Four leaf parabolics are only recommended for continually heavy loaded 109 trucks. I think Sean had four leaf parabolics on the Short Bus and found them way too stiff.

My 88 has standard springs, but I intend a parabolic swap in the future. I will use three leaf rears as they should be sufficient for anything I will be doing with the 88.

My 109 has a military chassis and very heavy duty stock springs. It sits much higher with its extended spring hangars and military shackles. I would be concerned about increased sway if parabolics were installed.

Two leaf fronts and three leaf rears should work excellent in an 88. Next, you will need input about the various parabolic spring makers...... I have only used Rovers North parabolics, so can't tell you about the others.

Bob

benji215
01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
There is probably 400 pounds or more in the back of the wife's 109 when I note hitting the bump stops. Under normal conditions (tropical top, bed empty) it is fine.

The front parabolics that everyone sels are two leaf. You can buy two leaf, three leaf and four leaf parabolic rear springs. I was in one truck with two leaf rears, and it swayed and bounced too much in my opinion. It was only used for off road and had great articulation, which is what the owner wanted.

The three leaf rears have met all of my expectations for daily use. Four leaf parabolics are only recommended for continually heavy loaded 109 trucks. I think Sean had four leaf parabolics on the Short Bus and found them way too stiff.

My 88 has standard springs, but I intend a parabolic swap in the future. I will use three leaf rears as they should be sufficient for anything I will be doing with the 88.

My 109 has a military chassis and very heavy duty stock springs. It sits much higher with its extended spring hangars and military shackles. I would be concerned about increased sway if parabolics were installed.

Two leaf fronts and three leaf rears should work excellent in an 88. Next, you will need input about the various parabolic spring makers...... I have only used Rovers North parabolics, so can't tell you about the others.

Bob

thank you very much! the three leaf rears sound like theyll be perfect for my 88. i was planning on getting mine from rovers north too. youve been a big help and i think im getting those as soon as possible. my wife doesnt like to ride in it because of the stiff ride so hopefully i can have a companion on my adventures after this:)