PDA

View Full Version : spacers frame/body?

benji215
01-16-2010, 04:13 AM
i was told i should put spacers between all the aluminum body parts and the frame because of corrosion how difficult is this to do ? and is it really necessary ?its already 50 years old and i dont think anyone previous altered anything so is it already too late? any info would be helpful oh and its a 1960 series 2 thanks for the help:)

Rob P
01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Well, aluminum and steel don't get along too well, but I haven't heard of this being done for any reason other than to go higher.

benji215
01-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Well, aluminum and steel don't get along too well, but I haven't heard of this being done for any reason other than to go higher.

by "higher" do you mean just to raise the body? thanks for the info i dont see anything wrong with my connections so im gonna leave it for now at least

siiirhd88
01-17-2010, 01:59 AM
You only need a thin film between the aluminum and steel to reduce corrosion. There are several different types commercially available, but you can also use pieces cut to size from a plastic milk jug. The idea is to slightly seperate the two metals, but you also need to insulate under the washers at every bolt and nut that mount the aluminum to the steel.

I would only do it if you already had the body off of the chassis. I didn't bother when I did all three frameovers.

Bob