PDA

View Full Version : Winter Project(s) on 1953 fire tender

Disco96JSWB
01-17-2010, 09:08 PM
So we decided to keep the 1953 Series 1 fire tender and address some of the shortfalls we'd identified, even if it meant that some 'originality' would be lost. We wanted to fix three things:

1. The rear tub didn't sit level on the chassis, for some reason(s).

2. One of those reasons seemed to be that the fuel tank (which had been repaired a few years before we bought it) was too tall, which pushed the seat box upwards. But the original design also has it hanging way down low under the RH seat box. So it was a mess in more than one respect.

3. Finally, without wanting to be 'wimps' about it, we wanted a roll bar for peace of mind in off-camber situations.

Here's a link to old-school trialing with no roll bars:
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=1722

Here's our progress to-date on fixing the fire tender:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bannister556/1953LandRover80WinterRefurbProject?authkey=Gv1sRgC Jmm6oHVvr3RkwE&feat=directlink

- Jeremy and Jake

sven
01-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Glad you guys are keeping it. That frame actually looks pretty nice for being 50+ years old!

Im a big fan of roll bars in a series truck....You remember RC a few years back?

Disco96JSWB
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Glad you guys are keeping it. That frame actually looks pretty nice for being 50+ years old!

Im a big fan of roll bars in a series truck....You remember RC a few years back?

I certainly remember that hill by Lake Christy. That made for a few tense moments . . .

galen211
01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I cursed myself that day for having a winch that wasn't wired up.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Sven.jpg

sven
01-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I was almost in full freak out mode that moment :D

galen211
01-19-2010, 10:23 AM
We all have our freak out moment. :)

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/stuck2_small.jpg

Rob P
01-19-2010, 09:50 PM
We all have our freak out moment. :)

We've all had our freak out moments. I was in that same ditch but it wasn't where yours was. In my Tracker, stuck in the snow in Glen Rock, PA.

My absolute worst freak out was pulling a 25' tandem axle trailer with my former F-250 work truck down a hill in the snow while sliding. Couldn't stop and had to ride it out. Drove it straight gaining speed while pumping brakes trying to find a grip. Came to rest at the bottom (still on the road) but my heart was pounding.

galen211
01-20-2010, 09:01 AM
I was in that same ditch but it wasn't where yours was.

This ditch was out behind Tussey Mountain in State College. This was my lesson in not traveling alone.

I had just bought the truck and still had not transferred the title, plates or anything. So it was pretty illegal for me to be driving it. Sven came in his Series and could not get grip to pull me. Thank goodness a guy came along in a big Bronco and pulled me out in one yank. I was very afraid I was going to have to abandon it with no tags, title, etc...

Disco96JSWB
01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
This ditch was out behind Tussey Mountain in State College. This was my lesson in not traveling alone.

I had just bought the truck and still had not transferred the title, plates or anything. So it was pretty illegal for me to be driving it. Sven came in his Series and could not get grip to pull me. Thank goodness a guy came along in a big Bronco and pulled me out in one yank. I was very afraid I was going to have to abandon it with no tags, title, etc...

Meanwhile, at that exact moment, Jake and I were at Stuart's house to pick up a steering box, eating pizza, playing with the dogs, talking Land Rover . . .

galen211
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
And driving your Honda!!!

sven
01-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Meanwhile, at that exact moment, Jake and I were at Stuart's house to pick up a steering box, eating pizza, playing with the dogs, talking Land Rover . . .

Thats right, I forgot about that :p

Rob P
01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I shouldn't say I was in that ditch, I was in a similar ditch in the same situation.