PDA

View Full Version : generator to alternator?

benji215
01-25-2010, 04:26 PM
my generator just died and rather than replace it i wanted to upgrade to an alternator. i looked at rovers north and they have a conversion kit for almost 300 dollars that doesnt include an alternator. the bottom bracket alone is more than 200 so i was wondering if anyone has any ideas that are cheaper,if anyone has used the conversion kit and what kind of alternator is best for a 1960 series 2?it just sounds really expensive for a bracket i may not need or can fabricate myself. pictures would help me out a lot too.thanks guys:D

siiirhd88
01-25-2010, 05:39 PM
You can get brackets from Ike at Pangolin 4X4 for about $80.00 that are designed to mount a Delco internal voltage regulator alternator (available everywhere in various amp outputs). These mounts move the alternator up high, next to the water pump. Ike's web site:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/alternatorbrackets/alternatorbrackets.html

You will need to modify the wiring at the generator to fit the alternator, and modify the wiring to eliminate the old voltage regulator. It is not too difficult and a great upgrade.

Bob

benji215
01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
You can get brackets from Ike at Pangolin 4X4 for about $80.00 that are designed to mount a Delco internal voltage regulator alternator (available everywhere in various amp outputs). These mounts move the alternator up high, next to the water pump. Ike's web site:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/alternatorbrackets/alternatorbrackets.html

You will need to modify the wiring at the generator to fit the alternator, and modify the wiring to eliminate the old voltage regulator. It is not too difficult and a great upgrade.

Bob
thanks thats a much better option and saves me a lot of money.looks pretty good too. what kind of pulley do i need or will the one off my generator fit? sorry bout the dumb questions im new at this and wanna make sure i get it right.do the alternators come with a pulley that will work?

siiirhd88
01-25-2010, 07:13 PM
The typical Delco comes with either a single groove or double groove pulley and fan. You will only need a single groove pulley if you use Ike's mount.

The Delco alternators come with various "clocking", where the wires attach as compared to the mounts. There are several Series Rover web site pages that describe the wiring alterations for a generator conversion and clocking needed. I assume your Series is positive ground? The alternator is negative ground.

Terri Ann's web site has great info for the conversion:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Delco_Alternators.html

Bob

benji215
01-25-2010, 10:05 PM
The typical Delco comes with either a single groove or double groove pulley and fan. You will only need a single groove pulley if you use Ike's mount.

The Delco alternators come with various "clocking", where the wires attach as compared to the mounts. There are several Series Rover web site pages that describe the wiring alterations for a generator conversion and clocking needed. I assume your Series is positive ground? The alternator is negative ground.

Terri Ann's web site has great info for the conversion:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Delco_Alternators.html

Bob
thanks that answers all the questions i have for now youve been a big help ill let you know how it goes

Rob P
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
If a series truck is positive ground, then I assume that the whole vehicle is "+" and that you ground things back to "-" on the battery to make things run? That would have to play hell trying to get things like radios that are chassis grounded to work without shorting.

siiirhd88
01-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Yes, but it is easy to change to negative ground. Really just a battery cable swap and a reflash of the generator field if still using a generator.

Bob

crazyfish
01-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I second Ike's bracket. Changing over to - is very easy. Both recommended in my opinion.

benji215
02-01-2010, 05:28 AM
I second Ike's bracket. Changing over to - is very easy. Both recommended in my opinion.
brackets are in the mail and have 55 amp delco and new volt guage so as soon as i get the brackets ill start the conversion to neg and alternator im replacing my master brake cylinder at the same time ill let you know how it goes thanks for telling me about ike and pangolin by the way looks like he builds great stuff and hell probably get a lot more of my money in the future:)