PDA

View Full Version : bleeding new master cylinder problems

benji215
02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
i installed a new master cylinder today and spent a very long time bleeding the brakes im not getting any bubbles but the pedal is still very squishy. everything is adjusted properly(pedal linkage, shoes) and the pedal still doesnt engage the brakes until it almost hits the floor. checked for leaks, none.the only thing i can think of is there is a pocket of air at the top of the master so i jacked the front up scary high to level the master out and continued bleeding but to no avail any ideas are greatly appreciated .do i need to pressure bleed it? oh i was successful in changing from pos grnd to neg grnd no burning no sparks and it started right up so thanks everyone that helped me out with that:)

crazyfish
02-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I did the exact same thing you did. Turns out that if you fill the master BEFORE you install it makes a world of difference. Of course someone told me after I had it all buttoned up again......

Worked for me, your mileage may vary.

benji215
02-04-2010, 06:39 AM
I did the exact same thing you did. Turns out that if you fill the master BEFORE you install it makes a world of difference. Of course someone told me after I had it all buttoned up again......

Worked for me, your mileage may vary.
i figured as much i feel like an idiot because i had to replace the master in my 80 chevy luv and the manual for it told me to bench bleed it before install but i didnt find anything bout that in my rover manual so i thought i could skip it.WRONG. laziness causes double the work again. thanks for letting me know im gonna try again next week and see what happens