PDA

View Full Version : Snow glorious snow

Rob P
02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Oh man, did it ever snow here in North York (Dover). We got around 20 inches I am guessing. Hard to tell because of drifting and blowing. Shoveled out my driveway and my motherin laws driveway. Tomorrow is my mom's 150 foot driveway. Last night Nicole drove from here to East York to pick up her mom at work at 11:30pm in her '04 disco. Today I did a little drift busting in it.

Anybody else go play in the snow?

firemanshort
02-06-2010, 10:00 PM
View from the windshield of a Stage One in Northern Virginia at 3pm today.

This is what is looks like under normal circumstances.

Google Maps Street View (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=sterling,+va&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.534108,78.662109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sterling,+Loudoun,+Virginia&ll=38.989436,-77.395678&spn=0,359.980795&z=16&layer=c&cbll=38.98937,-77.395762&panoid=sBg5Aa-qimSU6cuds7sZug&cbp=12,15.3,,0,5.1)

Rob P
02-07-2010, 10:26 AM
wow. Looks like lotsa snow. I'll have to take some pictures today I guess.

tjfslaughter
02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Its going to snow again in North Jersey on Wednesday, I might have to get the chains out and hit the trails near Ringwood.

Rob P
02-09-2010, 10:50 PM
We have 4"+ of fresh powder (sounds like a ski report don't it?) and it shows no sign of stopping. Put tire chains on my 2 wheel drive work truck tonight so I can go to work in the morning. Wish me luck. I've only done like 1/2 mile in tire chains before.

scatterling
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
snow $%#@$ !!!
this is what I was doing last night, getting it done before it started really hard. Gee, if only I had a garage that wasn't full of 109"!

galen211
02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Just like Cape Town eh?

galen211
02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
These are from our pre-Christmas storm. I need to download the recent pics..

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/snow2.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/snow3.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/snow4.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/snow5.jpg

Rob P
02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
this is what I was doing last night,

I see you have a true British style garage to work in. Looks like it was lotsa fun. I just shoveled off my roof. My furnace (gas) quit running as the flue was buried under several inches of snow. According to the weatherman we got 18" of new snow in Dover so far and it is still snowing hard. Will take some more pictures of the snow later today.

Drove to work this morning about 13 miles give or take in my work truck with chains. Man do chains make a difference. Now I really really want a set for my Disco. All in good time I guess.

siiirhd88
02-10-2010, 04:03 PM
No way to guess how much snow we have. It is blowing so bad there are whiteout conditions at the farm field along the lane. I have managed to keep one lane open with the old plow J**p, but the drifts are chest high, and the wind is blowing from the field across the lane. I started last night with a 40 foot clear area along the lane, but that area is now filled with plow spoil and drift ..... Without the chains on the back of the J**p truck it would have been hoplessly stuck several times.

We still have power, which is good since the generator is broken, and I have only had to clear the satellite dishes once.

Bob

pushngo
02-10-2010, 04:35 PM
It is up to the windows on the main floor now and still snowing hard and blowing even harder.

I think i just wasted 3 hours blowing snow it is just drifting in the open space but because of the pile I blew out the drifting will just be deeper

siiirhd88
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm done trying to keep the lane clear. The last push thru found the drifts deeper than the hood of the truck..... I managed to widen the 4 foot wide path to about the plow width, but got stuck and had to dig the truck out. I'll deal with it in the morning, when the wind might be less. I also managed to loose the chain on the right rear tire..... We'll probably find it in the spring.

Bob

Rob P
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
These pictures are from the first snow we had..........not today.

Rob P
02-10-2010, 07:25 PM
These pictures are from today, note the difference in height where I park my work truck and rover.

scatterling
02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
finally stopped snowing at 7:30 pm. All told, we got around 26".

In the first photo ( I swear) there is an 88" on the left and a Jetta wagon on the right!

Rob P
02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Impressive. Maybe tomorrow I'll take my tape measure outside and try to get a snowfall amount as far as what's on the ground outside here. The snow swirls and piles funny around the houses here so it varies a lot. No trees to stop it. Really deep where I shoveled the snow off of the roof today.

03springer
02-11-2010, 09:35 AM
I remember when I was a kid I used to see farmers had snow fences put up and there would be big giant snow drifts there. But the drifts would not be on the road. They plowed twice yesterday but when I drove up out of the hollow where I live to where the farmers fields are, I have to turn around because it is drifted shut!! (Should of taken the camera ):( I guess cost is the reason.

tjfslaughter
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
We took the truck out to play in the snow yesterday. I uploaded a video from my cell phone

http://www.youtube.com/user/tjfslaughter#p/a/u/0/rgkwE3-jtaY

87xj95disco
02-11-2010, 07:07 PM
my son brett and i had a good time driving around befor it real bad.
drifting around corners and having a blast.
picked up one person for work at 6am this morning and took 2 home.
will try to post pics later. it will not let me upload.

siiirhd88
02-11-2010, 10:51 PM
The lane was impassible this morning, drifted deeper than the hood of the J**p plow truck. I cleared the half of the lane that is protected by woods, but in trying to clear the lane along the field I managed to get stuck twice, after moving only about five feet.....

The lane was finally open at 6:00 pm, after a neighbor cleared it with a tractor mounted snowblower. Of course, the road is still closed a few miles in each direction by drifts, and at 9:00 pm the plows still haven't been by.

The snow was deeper than the door bottoms on the slightly lifted Disco, but it walked right out of its parking place.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

siiirhd88
02-12-2010, 11:11 PM
We passed this drift while taking the wife to work this morning. Hively Road near Collinsville, York County.

Bob

03springer
02-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Bob, Thats what it looked like down in Drumore, Pa Friday. Thursday, me and my sister were driving to the store. We started driving thru Fishing Creek then we meet up with a downed tree. So I got out the tow strap and pulled the tree out of the way. Then were driving along passing people digging out. They all stop and look at us as we drive by. And we stated saying to each other, Thats right!! A Land Rover!!!!;) LOL Then we get to where the open fields were and abruptly come to a stop.:eek: The snow was drifted as high as the hood. So we turned around and went back home:(
But is was fun till then;)

Bob

siiirhd88
02-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Bob, Drumore is only a few miles from here, as the eagle flies. The river is right out back and I can see the Norman Wood Bridge from our place. You probably have the same amount of snow that we have. The state did manage to clear our road northbound today, using several loaders and a Hi Lift with a bucket.

I have to keep plowing the drift that accumulates in the now narrow cut of the lane. Monday's snow should only be several inches. Any more and I won't have anyplace to plow it to.

The Disco still is the best behaving snow vehicle, and I still like the old style Michelin XPC 4X4 tires.

Bob

03springer
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Hey Bob,
I live right on the river and my view is the peach bottom power plant slighty down to my left. Yesterday I loaned the Rover to my sister so she could go to work at the Mt Nebo Sports Farm. She called me about 15 min later to say the truck doesn`t want to go very fast. OOPS!!! I forgot in was in low range:eek: Told her what to do and she was happy. And so was I:) I just put brand new Cooper S/T`s on last Monday. So far I like them alot. Cant wait until the next Robesonia to try them out good. Hope I can have my lit on by then.
Bob

siiirhd88
02-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Bob, we are right across the river from Pequea, on top of the hill overlooking the river. I worked at Peach Bottom for 28 years, the wife still works there.

You need the Disco for the Fishing Creek area. Kinda rugged down there.

I've been plowing the drift accumulation on the lane about 3 times a day. I hope we only get a few inches of snow this coming storm.

Is 03Springer for a 1903 Springfield?

Bob

03springer
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
I bet you have a great view of Pequea. I used to put my boat in ther alot. I love fishing the river. The 03springer is that I have a 2003 Harley-Davidson soft tail springer. It`s in the shed to the right of my Rover. Can you see it?

Sorry, I can`t seem to figure out how to decrease the size of the picture i wanted to send. It was 798 kb and I`m limited to 200 something.

PS I wouldn`t mind geting a 03 Springfield one of these days!