PDA

View Full Version : Steering Loose

03springer
02-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I need to replace my steering ball joints. The passenger side has movement when I shake the tire left to right. Should I replace just the bad one or all? Is it easy to do myself?

Bob

PS Where is a good place to get them?

pushngo
02-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I need to replace my steering ball joints. The passenger side has movement when I shake the tire left to right. Should I replace just the bad one or all? Is it easy to do myself?

Bob

PS Where is a good place to get them?

If you have a torch it isn't a bad job I would replace them all as the others are the same mileage and have to be close I would be inclined to replace the rods with aftermarket too mabe RTE and use OEM TREs

03springer
02-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey pushngo.
What would the torch be for? I do have a two pronged fork that I believe is for seperating ball joints and such. I was looking on the net for tie rods and drag links. Gets a little confusing looking at all that is available. I guess it all boils down to money.(The root of all evil) What would be the best bang for the buck? Or just replace the ball joints themselves and leave it at that?
Bob

Frank84
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I had to replace one of the rod ends on my dad's DII and initially just bought the rod end, but it would not unscrew from the rest of the track rod. I tried everything, including a torch. Ended up just buying the entire stock track rod with the ends for about $100. If you're doing much four wheeling then this is a great excuse to upgrade the steering parts like Randy said.

Give Justin a call if you're looking for the upgraded parts:
http://www.lucky8llc.com/

Stock parts I got from Atlantic British. You'll need an alignment when you're done if you're not careful to set the length just right.

Also, expedition exchange has the DII "offset" track rod that raises the bar out of the way a bit:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/home.php?cat=271
(bottom of the page - this one includes the tie rod ends too)

Lots of options out there.

pushngo
02-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Yes the torch is to loosen the adjusters and the TREs themselves Sometimes you have to get them real red and you have to wonder how much you have changed the temper of the piece