PDA

View Full Version : 1996 D1 to 2004 D2 upgrade ?

Tom109
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Thinking of moving from our 1996 SD to a 2004 D2. The thoughts of lower accumulted miles, and newer condition are attractive, but am I opening a can or worms with a newer LR product? The search for a nice clean LWB RRC (in better shape than our D1) was fruitless, and I heard that Arthur "cash-for-clunkered" his Light Stone Edition LWB :( . Then a previous ambition to get a P38 was extinguished by all the electronic issues. I'm hoping a '04 D2 will be a good middle ground solution.

FWIW, I've done all the maintenance on our D1 (except warranty work) and would like to continue that madness on a D2. Is that asking too much?

Any opinions welcomed... including local/club 2004 d2's for sale.

Tom P.

Rob P
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a black 04-d2 and I like it. Trevor from Roverlabs warns away from the ACE system (active cornering enhancement) found on some models. I have the HSE version with 5 seats. Problems so far are both front door locks have quit electrically and the passenger door window has a bad drive motor. Runs great and worlds nicer than my '96 SD 7 seater. Milage on '96 is 110k and on the '04 is 93k but the newer unit is tight. No rattles and drives more car like than truck like. The '04 would be prefered over the D-2's with no CDL.

I would say any normal maintenance would be doable on the D-2 unless you get into computer issues. Sensors and the like once identified can always be replaced at home.

Frank84
02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
ABS issues on the '04 will most likely be expensive since you'll have to go to the dealer or someone else with the right computer. My dad has had a few issues with his '99 DII. Other than ABS you should be able to handle it yourself I think. It's familiar territory if you're used to working on your DI.

DII definitely drives a bit better. I think rover had dropped ACE by '04, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom109
02-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Frank,

Maybe something like this is worth the money?
http://www.rswsolutions.com/images/stories/myimages/absamigo/absamigo_4_small.jpg
Click for web site (http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=55)

I have not found a commercial equivalent to Testbook, but peraps this gizmo and my Scantool will be enough? The electronic (dealer) resets chased me away from a P38, but I'd pick this up if it would eliminate unnecessary/costly dealer trips. It would be nice to have one in the club toolbox too...

OOOH!
I just found the Hawkeye from Bearmach (http://www.bearmach.com/downloads/PDFS/HawkEye%20Specs.pdf)!

Apparently this comes from the same company that wrote Testbook. The downside is that you have to purchase a LR-model-specific unlock code, so it can't be used on any LR model without spending more money. However it goes much deeper into the Testbook realm, plus future updates promise more. The ABS Amigo is already 1/3 the cost but only does the brake codes.

Tom P.

Frank84
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I like that amigo thing! I'll have to have my dad pick one up next time those damn lights come on.

rmuller
02-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I like that amigo thing! I'll have to have my dad pick one up next time those damn lights come on.

Frank - I have one if you ever need to borrow it..

Frank84
02-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Frank - I have one if you ever need to borrow it..

Thanks!