PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to say...

rvrsrvc
03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I needed to have the ball joint on top of the rear axle replaced on the borrowed 110 and knew that it's a job that has the potential to go from awkward to obstinant if everything is rusty/old. So I hire the local fundi to do it as I was getting tired of clutch take -up/ on-off throttle noises from the back. And have him overhaul the drop arm ball joint while he's at it. I had already bought the parts with plans to do it myself.
Texts in the afternoon and that all is done, but the ball joint was tougher than most.
Imagine my surprise when he hands me a bill for 41,500 TSh.
A US dollar is worth about 1370TSh. Go ahead, do the math.

Gotta go, the power's about to go out again.

galen211
03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Lol, Trevor you going to start outsourcing your work to Africa?

Ivar
03-02-2010, 02:46 PM
You will find that there is no such thing as a deadline in Africa! Good thing you did my roll cage before you went there, otherwise you would have thought two years would be OK to get it done.

scatterling
03-02-2010, 07:12 PM
sheesh bru, look at you....throwing around words like 'fundi' !! Before you know it you'll be saying things like "I got the Landie stuck in a donga while bundu bashing" :D

Rob P
03-02-2010, 11:00 PM
So is that right to say around $30USD?

rvrsrvc
03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Yup, $30. I went to the bank machine a few times this week, when there was power and/or a server was on line, and withdrew a million. Say it with me:" One MILLION in a currrency."

Need to buy a tire that has more tread than the current RR tire, but I want to try some of the labelled 4x4 only trails up to the Kili park gates. May not be any different than the un-improved road from our house to the hospital, but it's wheelin' in a Rover!

I've learned some Swahili but always seem to loose my focus in a conversation like saying kesho or karibu when I mean kwaheri. And for whatever reason, I only remember the christian names like Mary, Humphrey, Longford.
Matoto, Kunda, just ain't as easy peasy.

Rob P
03-04-2010, 08:19 PM
the un-improved road from our house to the hospital,

Wait, which house and which hospital? In Lancaster or Africa?

Trevor
03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
When in SE Asia few years ago, we would routinely not buy a litre of water because it was overpriced an entire 5 cents. When a meal out costs a dollar and double room rings up to 8 bucks, the value of currency quickly takes on a new perspective.

Outrageous exchange rates can be difficult. Cambodia was particularly frustrating as the dollar is widely accepted, but change is often made using a combination of dollars and riels. I believe there are something like 4000 riel to the dollar. The locals always end up ahead as your head spins trying to summon basic algebra to the forefront of your mind before just giving up and accepting the change given.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying your time on the dark continent Trevor.