PDA

View Full Version : fluids

tjfslaughter
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Quick Question!

I have the R380 manual tranny in my truck. The Haynes service book calls for a MTF94 fluid (Texaco). I could not find the stuff anywhere. I looked up and found a synthetic Royal Purple (20$) a quart.... I put a 75-90 in. Can anybody tell me their thoughts....

Disco96JSWB
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Quick Question!

I have the R380 manual tranny in my truck. The Haynes service book calls for a MTF94 fluid (Texaco). I could not find the stuff anywhere. I looked up and found a synthetic Royal Purple (20$) a quart.... I put a 75-90 in. Can anybody tell me their thoughts....

I went through the research process for my R380 a few years ago. Originally, L-R called for automatic transmission fluid (Dexron III ATF). I used Redline MTL (manual transmission lube). I don't think gear oil (75W90) is going to be the right thing.

I sold that Discovery because of the gearbox but wish I'd kept it. My R380 was never the same after the cold day my wife drove it 10 miles to pick up my son from pre-school. She called after she got there and said there was something wrong with my truck because she couldn't get it going very fast at all no matter how hard she tried. It took a few seconds for the light to dawn and then I realized I'd left it on the driveway in low range after moving a trailer around the yard the day before. The Redline MTL improved it subsequently.

tjfslaughter
03-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks,

I just called Royal Purple they said the 75w-90 is probably a little to heavy...... They recommended their Manual transmission fluid, called syncromax, I will also look into the Redline MTF

tjfslaughter
03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Ok,

Just got the answer.

The mini cooper uses the same OEM spec fluid. I guess I am off to the mini dealership.......

tjfslaughter
03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
The people at mini where very helpful (Prestige Mini). They only have the fluid in Bulk containers, they sold it to me cheap, they had to put it in another container. Thanks for the help guys.