PDA

View Full Version : Tire chains and Trialing

Rob P
03-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Ok, I went up to help setup the event and used my tire chains on the rear wheels and it made a HUGE difference in how my Disco went around the McMullin's property. Mike has good tires and he struggled spinning in 2 spots that I drove up easily in Low first gear.

My question is this: Are tire chains OK for traction aid in our trial event?

I know (I think I know) lockers are frowned upon but not outlawed from competition. This is about driving skill and guiding your vehicle through a set course instead of just simply making it around without needing assistance I take it.

Input from the board?

sven
03-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I would say yes. If people are allowed to have lockers, MT tires, etc....whats the difference if you used chains? I see nothing wrong with it :)

tjfslaughter
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Rob,

I used chains on my front wheels last year on my D-110 and I had the differentials locked. Some people asked me why I used chains, I said because I dont have M/T Tires. I wanted to make it this weekend but with the storm last weekend I have a huge Honey-DO list.

The chains made me feel much more comfortable and I had very little sliding around.

Rob P
03-19-2010, 10:45 PM
thanks for your feedback, just curious how yall felt

tjfslaughter
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
How did the chains work out?

pushngo
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
How did the chains work out?

He won with them!!

Rob P
04-09-2010, 05:42 PM
The chains made a huge difference in traction. I was able to pick a line and just drive without worrying about whether I would make it or not. You'd have to ask Lyle or Randy about our pre-lunch trail ride around the McMullin's.