PDA

View Full Version : Series III Fuel Pump

Ken Heaton
03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the newer style fuel pump for a Series? Yesterday the fuel pump, original style with glass bowl, in my Series died, is leaking out of the diaphragm portion. It is about three years old although I haven't driven the vehicle much until lately. From what I have found out, the original style with glass bowl, is not a Genuine Land Rover part, but a repro model. Is the newer style better? Are changes required to make it fit?

siiirhd88
03-22-2010, 08:37 AM
I have the newer style non-glass bowl fuel pump in my 109, and have had no problems with it. Instead of the flipper below the pump for hand priming, it has a thin handle to the side for the same function.

Bob

Ken Heaton
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
I have been talking to several people about the problem with the fuel pump leaking in the older Series vehicles and the concern is the 10% ethanol in the gasoline. Ethanol tends to harden the diaphragm which makes it prone to cracking, can anyone recommend a gasoline without ethanol?

Rob P
03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Well it depends on where you live. Around here they seem to advertise it roadside that they have "no ethanol in our gas means better milage." Look towards independant stations. I believe that all pumps that have the mix in them are labeled such.