PDA

View Full Version : "Letting Go"

Coniston
03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
So after discovering that parting out Rovers is not really a feasible thing at this point in my life, and the fact that we have a totaled 94 D1 sitting in our driveway useless for anything else, I know I have to get rid of it. Sell it as a parts car to a Rover-friendly person. It's the only thing that makes sense.

But God, it's hard to think about actually doing it. I never even drove the thing -- it was hit by a tree limb three months before I got my driver's permit -- but it was in my family since I was four. It's the reason I'm a Rover guy. But yet, I've had all of my personal Rovering experiences in the 93 RRC. Which is "my car" from the start - not a hand-me-down. And which I probably have more attachment to now, really.

Still, the old 94 Coniston Green Disco (thus my username), with its collapsed roof and 180k miles and that hasn't moved since early 2006 (but in great shape otherwise), is so tough to get rid of. I know I have to do it. I know that it'll bring a nice check to work on the Rangey with. But it's really damn tough to move on and think of it being taken away on a flatbed.

Commiserations and experiences of saying goodbye to beloved Rovers welcome.:(

Tom109
03-26-2010, 08:21 AM
You said it's in good shape otherwise. Why not make a convertible out of it - fair weather vehicle?

Tom P.

Rob P
03-26-2010, 11:03 PM
nothing $100 worth of sawzall blades won't fix.

pushngo
03-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Yes your NICE check won't go far to fix the RR

Where are you located?

Coniston
03-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I've thought about the convertible thing...major issue is that the B pillar also buckled, which screwed up the whole right side of the truck a bit. I'd love to do it...it would be an awesome open-top beach buggy thing. Great for the beach in NC.

Last time I looked into it, I was looking at several grand to do a chop job. Perhaps it's the kind of thing that could be done for less...in phases...

Hmm...okay, there's something to think about. As long as a rollcage is sturdy -- first line of defence -- the rest can fall into place over time.

The question is, do I want to spend a couple k's on making something out of it, or do I invest that in making the functional RRC better?

Randy -- I'm in Somerset County, NJ.

pushngo
03-27-2010, 05:28 PM
What do you want for it?

Coniston
03-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Check your email.

Tom Bache
03-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi,

I may be interested. We are planning the next club project and this could work. If you could possibly contact me directly I would like to talk to you about it.

Tom Bache
tbache9248@aol.com

Coniston
04-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Email sent. Very intrigued!