PDA

View Full Version : Annual Picnic/Meeting

Rob P
03-31-2010, 10:25 PM
OK, I know I am early on this but I would like to get this started so our annual picnic doesn't happen in October.

I like the picnic and would like to have it a bit further West if possible. I've scouted a few locations along the Susquehanna river and I am not sure about their availability but I can vouch for their uniquity. Nothing quite compares to the St. Anthony's venue though.
http://www.eastdonegaltwp.com/recreation.php There isn't much in the way of playground but the river is right there and you cross over and under 2 railroad tracks to get there.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/giffordpinchot.aspx This one is real pretty but also very well traveled in the summertime. They have nice clean facilities and many trails to walk on. Oh, also only 10 minutes from my house. (not an invite for a sleepover, I'm not that kinda guy)

87xj95disco
04-01-2010, 07:58 AM
now thats funny
i was just talking to tom b. last night 3-31 about having it west side.
rob lets get together and look at some places.
starting with longs park
say about a max of 45 min. drive.

spechols
04-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Wonderful idea!
It the center of the state I could make it and get home in one day.
Good thinking Rob.:)

Tom Bache
04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
HI Everyone,

As Mike mentioned we talked about last eve. If Rob and Mike can get together and pick a spot, the sooner the better. I hope to publish the next newsletter in the first of May.

Rob P
04-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Having gotten my weekly trip to the mailbox today, I read that our picnic is September 18th I believe which is also Yom Kippur, no relation. Longs park is nice but I don't know much about it. Rocky Ridge is great for terrain and hiking. Is there any parks that are along the Appalation (sp?) Trail?

I don't want to cut out our Easterly Roverites by suggesting a Western location.

What's the clubs requirements for a location?

Interesting terrain?
Facilities?
Playground?
Secluded?
Ability to do some Wheelin' on site?
Picnic at Rauch Creek? (Cripes, Trevor will have a permanent smile)

What's the geographical center of our membership? I'd like to keep it nice for everyone interested in coming.

03springer
04-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Samual Lewis state park is just near the Susquehanna river in Wrightsville, York County. Nice park and a great view of the river. ;)

87xj95disco
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
thinking about mountville park. great playground for the kids.
will be taking a ride to samual lewis park (had that in mind too) today to get info and mountville on monday. long level damn along the river is a nice one too.

Rob P
04-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I went to scout out Lake Redman (Kain) park yesterday. Playground right next to 2 pavillions, boat rentals in summer, lots of parking. Close to I-83 though and it is noisey all the time. Will keep looking.

87xj95disco
04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
does anyone have pic from the last picnic i need a few.
thanks
mike

rvrsrvc
04-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Near me there is Hershey Park! Lots of rides, walking, pavillions, parking...

Or, how about Ski Roundtop, the ski 'resort'? They have summer time activities lots of parking. Maybe they would be interested in adding scenic offroading on the mountain service roads. http://www.skiroundtop.com/

Rob P
04-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Hershey park might sound a bit ridiculous but they host small company picnic type events as well as Knobles and Dutch Wonderland. That might be worth looking into. Get together and have lunch, do annual meeting, then split up to enjoy the park/day. I think our attendance would be much higher.
http://www.knoebels.com/pdfs/caterbookComp2010.pdf
http://www.dutchwonderland.com/tickets/group_tickets.php
http://www.hersheypark.com/groups/index.php

Of course of the 3 Hershey looked to be the most expensive and Knobles looked to be the cheapest at least on the skimming I did.

spechols
04-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I love Knobles !!!
Free parking
You can bring all your own food and drinks if you want - but no beer ;-)
Free use of covered picnic tables
Gas grills provided that run on coins
Free entertainment
No entry fee - you only pay for rides and food
Lots of trees

Ken Heaton
04-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I would vote for Knobles, used to go there as a kid, great place(at least it used to be). Sort of out of the way though for most people.

galen211
04-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Hah! I was going to suggest Knoebels too! Been going there since I was a kid and it is a great place, hardly changed in all this time.

Tom Bache
05-02-2010, 03:33 PM
HI Everyone,

Just a reminder about shop day Sat May 8th. Bleed your brakes or tune up time. Rover Shop in Lebanon. Contact me if you haven't been there yet.

The summer driving season is at hand. I saw Ivar going up US 202 yesterday in his 88, soft top rolled up and enjoying the drive. I was enroute to Bill Grant's for an engine transplant.

Next shop day is at my house June 5th.

Next off-road event is June 25-27th at Red Roof Lodge. A replay of the cancelled event from February. 2 trips, one for winch equipped, one for non-winch vehicles. As before secure your lodging near Lock Haven and a group dinner at camp at the end of a full day out on the trail. We are going to wheel!

Tom Bache

galen211
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Hope to make the Lock Haven/State College trip in June. We'll see what the boss says!

rvrsrvc
05-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Bosses, it's now plural!

galen211
05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
The bosses are giving me a preliminary thumbs up. :)

mlp141
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Hah! I was going to suggest Knoebels too! Been going there since I was a kid and it is a great place, hardly changed in all this time.

Great memories of Knoebels, right Galen? :D

galen211
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Great memories of Knoebels, right Galen? :D

One of the best and I never even made it there that day!

Tom Bache
05-09-2010, 09:38 PM
HI Everyone,

We have reserved the pavilion at Sam Lewis State Park, near Wrightsville, PA. 180 degree view of the Susquahana Valley, best kit flying spot I have seen in a while. This year's theme is Rover Preparedness. How is your Rover kitted out for the journey? We will have a prize for this. More details to come.

The June 5th shop day will move to Lebanon, PA. Another opportunity to get current with Rover maintenance. My driveway may be under construction at that time, hence the change in venue.

Ken Heaton
05-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I recommend that we have Trevor give a talk about his recent experiences in Africa as part of the agenda for the picnic. It should fit in with the theme.

galen211
05-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Sam Lewis is a good choice. Used to go there as a kid for kite flying and picnics.

Frank84
05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
What's the date for the picnic?

Rob P
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
It's in the newsletter I believe. September something or other. Don't have it handy.

Rob P
08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Ok so what's the deal fellas? I went to our club main site to look around which I admit I rarely do and our annual picnic info says it will be
At Ridley Creek State Park between west chester and philly. The last post on the subject from Tom on here said Sam Lewis park. Can anybody rectify this for me and tell me where it really is?

siiirhd88
08-08-2010, 02:44 PM
September 18 at Sam Lewis State Park, Wrightsville.

bfmcelroy
08-10-2010, 08:09 AM
The aprk at East Doneagl is nice actually.

I work for David Miller / Associates, Inc. and we're their engineer.

We did the boat launch improvements design and the new Trail design which was built last Summer.

Paved trail 1.2 miles long that extends from the park into Marrietta Borough.

Not sure what it costs to rent.

There is one problem with very tall vehicle getting uner the railraod bridge, but that was for dump trucks and trailers with semi's and excavation equipment.

I don't think anyone's LR is that tall?

Rob P
08-10-2010, 08:41 AM
None of the rovers that I have seen from our club would get stuck under that bridge. I like the road that goes back to the park, looks like the road to nowhere.