PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

tjfslaughter
04-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I am trying to achieve a leak free Land Rover. My Mother in law and Uncle will no longer allow me to park in their driveways.

I have located almost all of the leaks on the truck and fixed them. I located this one this weekend. It is my Head Gasket. It is a TD5 diesel. When reading my Haynes repair manual it looks like it is an idiot proof repair. Other than re-tightening the bolts evenly is this a difficult repair????

Rob P
04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Looks more like a valve cover gasket to me. A valve cover gasket is usually a straight forward affair depending on what is in the way. As far as tightening bolts evenly nothing beats a "clicker" type torque wrench. The beam types are OK but not as accurate.

A head gasket is a major undertaking only to be done if you are CONFIDENT in your mechanical abilities. It doesn't require any specialized skills other than time and basic wrenches but it is deeper in the engine and many more things need disturbed and put back together correctly for the engine to function properly.

With the valve cover gasket if you don't do it right the worst that can happen is a broken cover bolt or another leak.

tjfslaughter
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
You are correct in that it is only the Valve cover Gasket. I will order one and have it sent over. Is it common for these to leak????

Frank84
04-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Is it common for these to leak????

I think it is common for everything to leak. In fact, I wouldn't even categorize that as a leak. It looks hardly moist.

tjfslaughter
04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I think it is common for everything to leak. In fact, I wouldn't even categorize that as a leak. It looks hardly moist.

Try to explain that to my mother inlaw. I borrowed her leaf blower without her knowing. She called me today and said "where you at the house"...........

I think this is the leak that leaves about a 4" spot where I park.....

Rob P
04-12-2010, 06:26 PM
That is a large leak. Are you sure it is coming from that gasket?

Indian Head gasket sealer is recommended.

tjfslaughter
04-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Well after taking a closer look it (and buying the valve cover gasket from RN) I have found that the leak is coming from the Fuel Pressure Regulator about 2 inches from the valve cover. It is spilling quite well when Idling. I guess it is a good thing that it is leaking on the return line.

I found this site http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25537 that documents the change in the part. I will be ordering the part in the morning.

tjfslaughter
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM
OK.....

moving forward. I talked to Les at Rovers North he has the part in stock, just not the gasket. Instead of just selling the part he recommended to try and tighten it up. I will take a look tonight and see if this will work.

Rob P
04-14-2010, 10:20 PM
The diesel smell on the driveway should have given that away instead of the crankcase oil smell. Didn't you learn anything from watching the Lone Ranger and Tonto?

Tonto: Buffalo come
Lone Ranger: How do you know Tonto?
Tonto: Ground sticky

tjfslaughter
04-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Listen grasshopper! I mean that in a nice way as you quickly pointed out that I have no clue when it comes to differentiating from a head gasket and a valve cover gasket. Let alone identifying the proper location of the leak

Last week I had an awesome dirt driveway that for some reason was perfect for a Land Rover. Quite Permeable………

Last week I ordered 52,000 lbs of crushed blue stone to make a nice blue stone gravel drive way.

WOW all of a sudden now I can see every leak that this Defender makes!

I am so glad I service it every 3 months.

Rob P
04-15-2010, 10:20 PM
That's a lot of stone. My driveway in front of my double wide mobile home is barely enough room for a F-250 and a Disco, that much stone would make it hard to park there.

tjfslaughter
04-16-2010, 09:01 AM
We ended up putting a 4 inch base of stone down and packed it in.....

My fuel pressure regulator and gasket is layed over in Germany because of the Volcano...... I am glad I paid the extra 30 pounds to overnight the part

:(

I uploaded a pic. I was playing with the anti-stall. I don't get to use that feature very often...... It is amazing how the truck will drive itself right up that hill. Hopefully the truck will be ready by the 25th for Franks clean up in Ringwood.