PDA

View Full Version : Tires for a LR3

tpyle
04-16-2010, 07:17 AM
My LR3 has 27,000 miles on it and is ready for tires! Does anyone have any suggestions for tires? From what I have these like to eat tires and brakes.

rvrsrvc
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I have 19" wheels with Michelin synchrone. Great tire for everything but the mud in the back yard- quiet, good water traction, lots of tread left after 35k miles.
Also fitting a set of Kumho APT KL51 to a LR3 with 18" next week. I've fitted these to many Rovers as a mostly road oriented tire. And priced well at about $125 from the tirerack.
I would encourage avoiding the inadequate Wrangler, especially at $333 a tire!

tjfslaughter
04-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I would check the warranty on the tires. Most have a minimum of 36k. You might be able to get a pro-rated check. It might be worth looking into.

Disco96JSWB
04-16-2010, 10:16 PM
My used LR3 SE came with 19" wheels and worn out Goodyears. I bought 2 new Goodyear Wranglers and then 2 Pirelli Scorpions after I decided I didn't like the Goodyears. Neither are great, but the Pirellis are better. My first winter with these tires was not good.

Then I bought a set of 18" wheels ($200 off Craigslist) and mounted General Grabber AT2 tires. They were really impressive in deep snow this past winter. Also, the taller sidewall of the 18" tires made for a better ride and less 'tram-lining.' But they are noisy, so I just switched back to the 19" rims for summer.

When I wear out the mismatched 19" tires, I plan to buy Hankooks. If I had a set of 18" wheels for summer tires, I would buy Kumhos as per Trevor's recommendation, but they aren't available in the 19" size. I've had good luck with Korean tires on other vehicles in recent years.

If anyone ever wanted to trade me a set of 18" rims for my 19" rims, I'd do it.

Rob P
04-16-2010, 10:40 PM
This Michelin tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS2 is what I have on my work truck (f-250) right now and it is available in many sizes. I like the tread and wear is really very good. Syncrones don't seem to have any tread warranty but these have a 70,000 mile warranty on them.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/michelin/mi_ltx_ms2owl_ci2_l.jpg

tpyle
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I forgot to mention I do drive it on the beach fishing, so I need something that will work well driving in sand.

Are the Kumho APT KL51 any good off road?

I was looking at the Pirelli ATR, which are 200+, I have also looked at the Hankooks, which were 140 ish a tire. I was also told good things about Toyo tires which are about the same price as the Hankooks.

The LR Dealer is recommending Vredistien tires, which are European, and all the reviews i have found are from across the pond. They $220 a tire too.

The price difference adds up to a couple hundred dollars at the end of the day between all these tires, I dont want to spend $900 on tires, and get the same life out of a tire that i could have spent $600 on.

rvrsrvc
04-19-2010, 11:57 AM
The Kumho is described as a Highway/All season tire; the Pirelli as All Terrain. My experience in sand has been the less aggressive the better. If you loose momentum and have to accelerate, you don't want to dig-in and become buried, right?
And, lowering the pressure on any tire will help the "float" on top of sand.
The LR3 has all that technology to control wheelspin, so really, it should be fun with any tire.
I've had my LR3 on the Michelins on the Carolina Coast and it did fine. Played around with the various Terrain Respons settings and as well as DSC. Looking forward to going back this summer and travelling a little further on the beach. We had to catch a ferry last time and didn't want to risk being late....