PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Disco II SD

siiirhd88
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Here is our latest Rover, a 2002 Disco II SD. No bells and whistles, no sunroofs, just a plain jane to replace our '96 Disco SE7.

Picked this one up locally, and Trevor's worked on it in the past. It needs a front bumper cover and the left aluminum bumper crush can replaced. It had the '3 Amigos' lit, but I was able to reset them with a newly purchased ABS Amigo plug in. At 76K miles I'm sure it is due for head gasket and front driveshaft failures......

Bob

Rob P
04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Was this one in Wrightsville Bob?

Frank84
04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
At 76K miles I'm sure it is due for head gasket and front driveshaft failures......

Bob

...and probably a million other things. I don't want to discourage you, but I think 75-90k miles was the toughest time with my dad's DII. It was an expensive learning process. Yes, there was a head gasket and front driveshaft replacement. Post up when you have issues. There's lots of help here.

The DII is at 288k now on the second driveshaft that was replaced 200k miles ago. All you need to do is grease it and it'll last. Put greasable u-joints in it and grease the centering bearing with a needle adapter for a grease gun BEFORE you start having problems with it. Bar's radiator stop leak works wonders on minor head gasket leaks. They have specific stuff for head gaskets now too. Some people swear against the stuff, but 125k miles later it is still holding.

siiirhd88
04-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Yep, this one was on CL just outside Wrightsville.

Bob

Was this one in Wrightsville Bob?

Tom109
04-21-2010, 07:11 AM
...and grease the centering bearing with a needle adapter for a grease gun...

Frank,

How did you do this? Does the LR shaft have a grease hole for the centering pin?

I tried this on a GBR DC shaft that developed a noisy centering pin. No luck, so I eventually had to order the centering pin kit.

Tom P.

Frank84
04-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Frank,

How did you do this? Does the LR shaft have a grease hole for the centering pin?

Step one is to remove the driveshaft - the special land rover socket from atlantic british helps a bunch. Put it in a vice or something to hold it with the double cardon side up. Twist/push the double cardon to one side and looking from the top you should be able to see the ball joint inside there - you may have to wipe off the muck and grease. Then put a grease needle between the ball joint and its rubber seal and attach your grease gun and give it a few good pumps.

rvrsrvc
04-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Is that Frank Lesher's old D2?
Ck with Randy-he has 4 D2's for parts and I've seen crush cans all over the yard. Don't know about a bumper.

pushngo
04-22-2010, 09:44 AM
I got crush cans but bumpers are rare

I am trying to get some new ones that are stuck in customs hopefully they will sell in the $600 range

siiirhd88
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
We bought the truck from Erick W. in Wrightsville, and before that it was in Florida. I don't think it was Frank's truck. I had already checked with Randy about a bumper.... The one on the truck is usable with the temp repairs now completed, but I will likely replace it when I find one. Dawn already said 'no' to an ARB bumper. :)

So far, everything works OK but there is a slight shudder on braking, likely from a warped rotor. The ABS lights have remained clear since reset, and tonight I unexpectedly found out about the superlocking feature. So did everyone nearby....

I might want an extra set of wheels to mount the D2 sized Michelin XPCs from our '96.

Bob