PDA

View Full Version : what is trailing

87xj95disco
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Trialing
The course consists of 10 "gates" marked by two pairs of garden canes. The gates are just wide enough to get a standard vehicle through. One vehicle attempts the course at a time, and is deemed to have cleared a gate if at least one of the front wheels passes between the canes. The vehicle's attempt ends when it comes to a stop (depending on the exact level of skill the trial is aimed at, any stopping may end the attempt, or a few seconds may be allowed). Long-wheelbase vehicles are usually allowed to perform a shunt if needed, providing the driver declares where the turn is going to be made before they attempt the course (this puts a strong emphasis on ground-reading ability).
The course between the gates is a "section"- between the start line and the first gate is "Section 1", the part between the first and second gates is "Section 2" and so on. A true trials course is laid out so that each section is progressively more difficult, although this is not always the case. If a driver fails to complete Section 1, they are given 10 points. If the attempt ends in Section 2, 9 points are awarded etc. A clear round results in gaining only 1 point. A day's event will consist of many different courses, and at the end, the driver with the lowest score is the winner.
Since the terrain covered in a trials should be well within the capabilities of any reasonably-capable vehicle (even in standard form), these trials place the emphasis on driver skill and ground-reading abilities. A good driver in a standard-spec vehicle can easily win over a modified, highly-equipped vehicle driven by a less competent driver.

rvrsrvc
05-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Where'd you find that description?

87xj95disco
05-05-2010, 07:31 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-roading#Competitive_Trials

crazyfish
05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Dont we start the gates at 10 and go down from there?

galen211
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes we do.

87xj95disco
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
something like that. close enough

Rob P
05-05-2010, 09:56 PM
We have our gates laid out according to the points awarded for completing that section. First section is labeled #10 and it's worth 10 points. Imagine the confusion if in the Fall Event we changed it so that the first section was #1 and it was worth 10 points and so on down the line. You clipped cane #7 but you got 3 points. I think I like our system better.

87xj95disco
05-06-2010, 08:03 AM
i did more searching around the web looking at different trialing.
found one club in canada that has there numbers set up like ours.
i looks like its going to very from club to club and how they want to set it up
but the out come is going to be the same. lowest score wins !
but it will give them a better idea on what trialing is.