PDA

View Full Version : Series Lug Nuts?

Disco96JSWB
05-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I bought a rear door (station wagon) spare tire mount that I adapted to use to secure the spare in the back of my Series 1. It came without lug nuts.

My Series 1 lug nuts are a different thread pitch. From research, it looks like there may be three (?) different Series IIA/III lug nuts. Any suggestions on how to determine which ones to order?

- Jeremy

siiirhd88
05-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, there are three different lug nuts for the SIIA/SIII wheel studs. There are two different lug nuts for the SIIA and the studs are smaller in diameter than the SIII. One SIIA lug nut is reversible, having the acorn bevel on both sides. I believe they use a 15/16" socket. The later SIIA lug nut has the same thread but is flat on one side and is physically larger, using a 1 1/16" socket. The SIII lug nuts are the same physical size as the late SIIA, using a 1 1/16" socket but are for a larger diameter stud. The SIII stud has the same thread as the Range Rover Classic, Disco 1 and Defender wheel studs. I've seen the SIII size studs on very late SIIA trucks, however....

Bob

Disco96JSWB
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks, Bob.

I bet there's also a Whitworth-based thread they were using back in 1953, which is why my wheel nuts don't fit on the bracket.

I tried some old Discovery lug nuts which were too big, so that eliminates Series III. Series IIA it is then, and now I understand that the two styles have the same thread. Thank you very much.

- Jeremy