PDA

View Full Version : Lockhaven June 25-27

mlp141
05-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Hey -- just seeing who is in for the weekend in Lockhaven, Pa.

I'm not sure of all the details. This is a rescheduling of the March trip that got snowed out.

Alicia and I are in and I know that Galen (sans truck) will be there, as will State College's own Sven.

FWIW, I don't have a CB in the truck -- only FRS radios. I hope others have those too.

scatterling
05-29-2010, 03:24 PM
I'll be there as well. Don't know where I'll be camping yet though. What happened to camping at the cabin?

LC Rover
05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
I am going and try and come down from Wellsboro on Sat

Tom Bache
05-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi Neil and All,

We look forward to seeing everyone in June. Last weekend we scouted some more trails. Due to the limited size of the cabin, camping or independent reservations was the best solution for the group we plan for.
Now let's hope for decent weather!

Tom Bache

Hammertime
05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Jill and I would like to attend if our schedules work out

Frank84
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
I should be out there too. Where is everyone staying?

mlp141
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
We haven't booked yet. There is a Red Roof inn right there (and I think that's the meeting point).

But, as a Penn State alumnus, Alicia and I might stay in State College. It's not too far away and its a great place to be.

spechols
06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Tom and all,
Do we have any details on this event?
I need to plan my weekend around it.
Thanks

mlp141
06-20-2010, 05:44 PM
OK, we are less than a week out. What's the game plan?

Alicia and I are heading out there Friday evening. We plan on staying at a hotel either at Lock Haven or State College. Maybe the later for it would be a nice homecoming for a proud alumnus.

Regardless, what's the story for Saturday? When and where are we meeting? How many trucks are driving? Etc, etc ...

Hammertime
06-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Hey there, Is there no camping on site ? Really wanted to make this a camping trip also. Does anyone have the physical address. GPS cords.

galen211
06-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Hey there, Is there no camping on site ? Really wanted to make this a camping trip also. Does anyone have the physical address. GPS cords.

Camping on site is available. The location can be explained but it is best to do that privately since it is a private cabin behind a locked gate.

The closest "town" would be Beech Creek.

Tom Bache
06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
HI Everyone,

Here are the meet details:

We will convoy from the Walmart parking lot leaving promptly at 8:30AM on Sat. 167 Hogan Blvd, Mill Hall, PA 17751 Once we leave you likely won't catch up or know where to go so be on time.

It is a must to be prompt as it takes 3/4 hour to get to the trailhead, bring your FRS radio, CB radio, lunch, bug repellent. We will not meet at the cabin, we will head up the mountain and get to it.

Cost for the event is $20.00 per vehicle. Dinner will be at the cabin and is included. Sign up at Walmart. Cell phones do not work at the cabin, or in many places in the forest.

The plan is for two runs, one for vehicles not winch equipped. Don't think you can muscle your way through, some places are so narrow, no one can turn around to recover you, you must be able to recover yourself. 33" tires and two lockers are not enough. Brush marks are likely as the forest is in full bloom. You may encounter water up to the doors as well, so be advised if you are fussy about the carpeting.......

Non winch vehicles will travel a powerline and if possible down into a place seldom travelled........lunch be the creek

Camping, as discussed, there is a lot of open space near the cabin, with nice flat spots at the top of the lane. Plan to play and eat well.

Again, we are meeting in the parking lot of the Walmart in Mill Hall, PA Gas up first just across the street at Sheetz and take care of all your errands first
We want to get the full day in.

See you Saturday

Tom Bache

Frank84
06-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the info Tom. I'll be heading out bright and early it looks like!

Rob P
06-21-2010, 10:03 PM
We will convoy from the Walmart parking lot leaving promptly at 8:30AM on Sat. 167 Hogan Blvd, Mill Hall, PA 17751 Once we leave you likely won't catch up or know where to go so be on time.
This message will self destruct, don't eat it.

It is a must to be prompt as it takes 3/4 hour to get to the trailhead, bring your FRS radio, CB radio, lunch, bug repellent. We will not meet at the cabin, we will head up the mountain and get to it.
Did Tom mention to be on time?

Cell phones do not work at the cabin, or in many places in the forest.
You will be cut off, Rambo may be seen running from tree to tree along with Predator.

........lunch be the creek.
Watercress anyone? Pass the Water Chestnuts.

We want to get the full day in.
Did Tom happen to say anything about being prompt?

All kidding aside guys, I hope you all have a blast up there. Have fun and be careful.

mlp141
06-21-2010, 11:31 PM
The plan is for two runs, one for vehicles not winch equipped. Don't think you can muscle your way through, some places are so narrow, no one can turn around to recover you, you must be able to recover yourself. 33" tires and two lockers are not enough. Brush marks are likely as the forest is in full bloom. You may encounter water up to the doors as well, so be advised if you are fussy about the carpeting.......

Non winch vehicles will travel a powerline and if possible down into a place seldom travelled........lunch be the creek

That said, which trucks will be doing what.

I don't have a winch -- but my truck (I won't mention its manufacturer, but they are built in Toledo :D) has 31"s and lockers front and rear. So I fall into the later category.

Who else is coming and what in vehicles.

Hey Frank -- does the Strange Rover have a winch?

-MLP

PS - Alicia and I are so excited for this trip!

Frank84
06-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Yup! I have Jason's old ARB bumper and winch though I put a new cable on it.

mlp141
06-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Yup! I have Jason's old ARB bumper and winch though I put a new cable on it.

Sweet! I couldn't remember.

Hammertime
06-22-2010, 10:21 PM
That said, which trucks will be doing what.

I don't have a winch -- but my truck (I won't mention its manufacturer, but they are built in Toledo :D) has 31"s and lockers front and rear. So I fall into the later category.

Who else is coming and what in vehicles.

-MLP

PS - Alicia and I are so excited for this trip!

Jill and Dana are coming
Jill's 99 Disco Rovertym front and rear bumpers Warn 8000 winch, OME 2" 235/85/16
Dana's Defender Rovertym 2" Warn 8274, ARB's front and rears 285/75 /16

mlp141
06-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Jill and Dana are coming
Jill's 99 Disco Rovertym front and rear bumpers Warn 8000 winch, OME 2" 235/85/16
Dana's Defender Rovertym 2" Warn 8274, ARB's front and rears 285/75 /16

Dana -- That's awesome that both of you are coming. How does that break down? One dog per truck? :)

Hammertime
06-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Dana -- That's awesome that both of you are coming.

How does that break down? One dog per truck? :)

Nah I just let her take care of both of them. Ever since the roll over mine dosen't like to wheel with me. LOL

Frank84
06-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know if there are plans for sunday too or do we just pack up and head back?

mlp141
06-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Alicia and are going to State College to have lunch with my old roommate. I don't know of any official club doings Sunday.

siiirhd88
06-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not going to make it, in spite of my best efforts.

I had to replace the leaking head gasket on the 109, and had to wait until Monday for my unleaded head to be finished at the machine shop. While removing the old head on Tuesday I found the water pump was leaking a small stream. I ordered a new one, and pulled a used one off of a junk engine. I installed the rebuilt unleaded head yesterday and the used water pump today. When I filled up the coolant, there was a leak at the coolant passage gasket between the timing cover and the block.....

With everything tightened up there is still a small leak, which will require pulling the timing cover.

Oh well,
Bob

Frank84
06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Looks like I may be hitching a ride with someone at the event. I moved the rover in front of the garage to top up all the fluids, fill the tires, etc and now it won't start. Cranks strong and has spark but I guess it is not getting fuel.

mlp141
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Looks like I may be hitching a ride with someone at the event. I moved the rover in front of the garage to top up all the fluids, fill the tires, etc and now it won't start. Cranks strong and has spark but I guess it is not getting fuel.

Frank -- I just noticed your sig line. '95 D90? Do tell.

Frank84
06-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Frank -- I just noticed your sig line. '95 D90? Do tell.

Bought that last september so I'd have a "good" car to drive to work. I'm not so sure that it was the most practical decision I've made but it sure is a lot more fun commuting now! It is pretty original and dent/scratch free - I'm trying to keep it that way so no off roading for this rover.

mlp141
06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Got any pix? I must admit -- I am already jealous and I haven't even seen the thing!

Frank84
06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
I had a few pictures from the ad when i bought it but I think i must have got rid of them. Since it just does boring daily driver duty it hasn't been photographed I guess!

mlp141
06-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I had a few pictures from the ad when i bought it but I think i must have got rid of them. Since it just does boring daily driver duty it hasn't been photographed I guess!

Dude -- its a Defender. Interesting in my book regardless of its duty.

Are you still coming this weekend? I sure as hell hope so. It's been too long.

Alicia and I are heading west around 2:00. I am not sure if you have my cell number, but I'm going to text it to you.

Hope to see you this weekend.

--P

Frank84
06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Are you still coming this weekend? I sure as hell hope so. It's been too long.

--P

I'm still coming either way. I'll work on it a bit more tonight but at some point I'll have to give up and start packing.

Frank84
06-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm an idiot - I'll be there with the range rover. I tripped the inertia switch under the driver's seat looking for something.

scatterling
06-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Nice!!!! :d
see you in the morning.

rvrsrvc
06-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Neil, men over 30 shouldn't use emoticons. Ever.

grnthng
06-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Wish I could join you guys, maybe next year! Have a good time everybody.

scatterling
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Neil, men over 30 shouldn't use emoticons. Ever.

:p :eek: :rolleyes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

I heard that men over 40 need to get regular prostate exams!! enjoy!

Frank84
06-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Great weekend away at the cabin.

Thanks for everyone's help keeping my truck going! It was not the strange rover's best showing. Lost brakes at one point and on the way back I blew a trans cooler line. Guess my repairs list just grew!

Since I'm 26, I guess I can still use emoticons :D

pushngo
06-27-2010, 07:18 PM
So it was you that broke the cooler line!!

You get home ok?

I may have a line let me know which one it is

Hammertime
06-28-2010, 07:30 AM

You get home ok?

Yeah I was coming down the road and I see this person way down the road waving their arms like a mad man. Wondered what the heck was going on. Low and behold it is Frank, I'm glad I decided to go home that way.

We need to make a list of phone numbers of people so if you do break down you can call for some help.

Frank84
06-28-2010, 11:21 AM

You get home ok?

I thought the truck was going up in flames! I was fine one moment and engulfed in a cloud of smoke the next. There was no warning.

Got home ok after a quick repair with Dana's help and adding some fluid that Jill went and got for me. I think the repair is actually much better than the factory crimp connection. We just took the rubber hose and slide it over the metal line and used some hose clamps. Seems very sturdy now. The metal line even has a nice flare on the end for a good seal.

Are the hoses you have new or take offs from the other trucks you've got? I'm a little reluctant to put another old rubber hose back on. I might just get some new rubber tubing and use hose clamps to get rid of those crimped fittings all together. Got to look into it a bit more.

scatterling
06-28-2010, 06:58 PM
shheeesh, sounds like you had all the Land Rover bad luck this weekend. Glad you made it home ok. Dana is right we really should have some way of communicating with each other when heading home.

Here's some clips from the weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scatterlingSA#p/u
It's only four short clips but it's better than nothing.

scatterling
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
also some photo's
http://picasaweb.google.com/scatterlingSA/RedRoof2010#

grnthng
06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
That looks like a very cool place to wheel, I hope you guys can keep this one on the calender, nice!
Hey Frank, where going to have to head out together on future one's.... I got all the nit-bits in my rr remember, glad you made it OK!

I noticed that nobody needed a snorkel this time around!

Frank84
06-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey Frank, where going to have to head out together on future one's.... I got all the nit-bits in my rr remember, glad you made it OK!

I definitely needed a support vehicle on this trip!

And thanks for posting the video and pictures Neil