PDA

View Full Version : Rausch July 24-25

Frank84
06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I haven't been to Rausch since last year so I thought it was time to organize a trip.

I'll probably drive out Friday night and go to the park Saturday and Sunday, July 24/25. Probably do greens and blues but if we get enough people we could split into more groups.

Anyone interested?

galen211
06-17-2010, 07:39 AM
FYI there is a large group planning to go July 30-31 from dweb.

Frank84
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I already committed with a few people for the 24/25th weekend so I have to stick with that for now. Maybe two trips....

Disco96JSWB
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Jake and I would like to go but we broke our rock crawler already and it's going to take a little while to fix it.

Kind of wish we'd hung on to that old '96 5-speed Disco . . .

Jeremy

Rob P
06-18-2010, 10:41 PM
But did you break your rock crawler doing what you could have done with your old Disco or were you doing much rough type stuff?

mlp141
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Jake and I would like to go but we broke our rock crawler already and it's going to take a little while to fix it.

Jeremy

Are you guys coming to Lock Haven? I think it's LR3 doable.

Disco96JSWB
06-19-2010, 08:48 PM
But did you break your rock crawler doing what you could have done with your old Disco or were you doing much rough type stuff?

Rough stuff. Sheared a drive flange on a front hub.

Talked today to the owner of a 98 automatic Disco with some (relativey insignificant) front end damage, 103K miles, in my neighborhood. I have some OME springs, 235/85 Interco radials and a few other odds and ends. I'm considering it.

Disco96JSWB
06-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Are you guys coming to Lock Haven? I think it's LR3 doable.

We can't make Lock Haven, mostly due to schedule because of a business trip. But the LR3 isn't ready for 'trail rash' yet. It's disappointing to miss it.

Hammertime
06-21-2010, 07:23 AM

Jeremy
Tisk tisk, Thats what you get, The Disco put a curse on ya. You had to go to the dark side. JK lol

Frank84
06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
For the price of a DI or RRC you really should just get another one :)

Even a good one is cheap. Good is a relative term of course...

rvrsrvc
06-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Randy has 3 DI parts cars, (as well as a RRC and 4 D2's) He may have what you need to fix it up again.
I'll put this date down on the calender and see if I can get away. We're in Portland through the 18th and leave for OBX on the 30th. And I'll probably have some work in between...

Frank84
07-16-2010, 12:42 PM
There's still a group heading out to Rausch on the 24/25th weekend. Plan is to meet up in the main lot around 8am.

I'm going to do the greens/blues, but minimum group size is 2 trucks so others can do as they please of course.

rvrsrvc
07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
I'll be there Sat am with Francis the Roverdog and my buddy Keith. Not sure if I have a hall pass for the whole weekend yet.

Frank84
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
I'll be there Sat am with Francis the Roverdog and my buddy Keith. Not sure if I have a hall pass for the whole weekend yet.

Awesome!

Frank84
07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
DETAILS:

Arrive at the park at 8am on Saturday to get registered/pay and get organized. We'll roll out around 8:30-9:00 for the trails. Bring lunch and fill up your gas tank before you arrive. Nearest gas station is Exxon at exit 104 off I-81.

I'm heading out late Friday evening and staying at the Comfort Inn. They have a Rausch Creek discount if you ask and rooms are $60.50/night plus tax and that includes breakfast.

Comfort Inn
433 Suedberg Road, Pine Grove, PA
570-345-8031

You can find all the info about the park on their website:

http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

Park membership is good for one year and is $15. Then it is $35/day for drivers and $7/day for passengers (passengers 16 and older must be members but the daily fee is waived the day they pay the membership fee). The website explains it better than I do.

Rausch's address is: 453 Molleystown Rd Tremont PA 17981.

Rausch also has FREE primitive camping for members available by reservation.

eli.s
07-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey Frank,
I'd love to come but I'm in CO for business. next time!

Rob P
07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
So how was the high temp four wheeling?

mlp141
07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Any stories from the weekend?

Any photos or videos?

Disco96JSWB
07-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Any stories from the weekend?

Any photos or videos?

I was wondering the same thing as Mike . . .

Frank84
07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think there were any camera's in my group actually. Sorry! Saturday we mostly did greens with my rover, Tom's SIII, a cherokee, and a dakota. It was rather uneventful but we covered a ton of ground. The dakota was LONG and did get hung up a few times. One of my lower shock bushings decided to give up on me and I was able to make a replacement out of a chunk of rubber for the rest of the weekend.

Trevor, Neil, and Matt started with us but soon left for some more excitement and did some blacks and the red rock garden area. They should have some better stories. When we all met back up later in the day Trevor's car didn't look noticeably worse (how could it?), Neil was down an expansion tank (cracked) and had to get towed out to the lot by Trevor, and Matt's DI looked like it had found a few large rocks with the back of the car and had a busted head light "area".

Sunday, it was down to me and the Cherokee and we picked it up a notch from the day before. We got some heavy rain that turned everything slick. The black Hills trail near the parking lot was nastier than I've ever seen it before and I just made it through without winching. The cherokee needed a light tug for one of the spots. We made it out to Lake Christy which was MUCH deeper than i had ever seen it. We took the blue trail that leads into it via a large "puddle" that was barely crossable and had to turn around because we couldn't get across on the one side of the lake. We ended up going into the lake area via one of the slopes on the side of the lake, crossed the lake against our better judgement by riding the wall (still got a few inches of water in the rover and it was over the tires) and winched out the other side. Some of the trails that used to be easy are now much harder - especially when wet!

After that we were looking for something easier to ride because it was raining hard. We hopped onto a green trail (#21) that I had never done before. It was definitely NOT green. We made it but the cherokee had a slight mishap with a tree and my undercarriage got better acquainted with some rocks. Once again, the rain didn't help. From there we went off and did some other blues without mishap and when we should have headed back to the lot, we (or maybe it was me?) decided to do just one more trail. I just had to try the blue #23 trail because I hadn't been on it. It was a great trail really, but it was long, we were tired, everything and everyone was soaked. One of my relays was making all sorts of funny noises under the dash but everything still seemed to work okay so we went ahead anyway. We started getting worried about getting out on time because we kept getting stuck on the rocks. There was some bad luck, wet trails, and tired drivers at this point so when we finally got out of #23 we made a bee line to the parking lot. At the lot we had to bend back some heat shield and exhaust stuff on the cherokee and I think my front right tire will now be my spare since the chords are showing a little and it is sliced up pretty good.

Overall it was a great weekend out there. Next time I think we'll try the new property that Rausch is working on to change it up a little.

scatterling
07-28-2010, 10:16 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/scatterlingSA/RauschCreek24July2010#

had fun, we should do it again soon.

Rob P
07-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I really want to go to Raush sometime, that looks like it is a real hoot.

pushngo
07-29-2010, 06:10 AM
There is a group from D-web going for the weekend starting tomorrow

Rob P
07-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah but with a 7 day old baby when I go into the living room to say,"Honey, I'm going four wheeling for the weekend" really wouldn't go over to well. Maybe I should have said in my previous post, "I really want to go to Rausch sometime in the near distant future."

pushngo
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah but with a 7 day old baby when I go into the living room to say,"Honey, I'm going four wheeling for the weekend" really wouldn't go over to well. Maybe I should have said in my previous post, "I really want to go to Rausch sometime in the near distant future."

I should be retired by then we can go anytime

Rob P
07-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I should be retired by then we can go anytime
That will work out great! By then I should have SOME free time to go break stuff. By then I might even have some of the things I keep saying I want but never have the means to acheive.

Frank84
07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
After going through the puddle in the picture here, did you guys cross lake christy on the left side? We got through that puddle fine sunday, but chickened out at the lake. Eventually we went around and crossed the lake on the other side.

scatterling
07-31-2010, 08:14 AM
No, we threw sticks in the lake and sent Francis the wonder dog in as the official tester of depths - he started swimming about 3 feet out so we went up and over the hill instead.

Rob P
07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
You didn't get out your fish finder and look that way? Couldn't have been too deep for big blue the wonderscovery.