PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Proline!

Todd138
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Well aparently Proline 10" Series 88's brake shoes are to big (more like long). They look like the metal back needs to be shaved down a 1/4" or more on the one end. What the S&#*? I knew I should have stopped when the first wheel I did was tight as hell when I put everything back together. I figured maybe when everything was finished the magical brake fairy would fix it......dumbass. I should have bought brake shoes from Atlantic:mad:

Ken Heaton
07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I had the same problem, the Proline brake shoes were too tight, squeaked like crazy and actually gave off some sort of goo. We replaced them with Genuine Land Rover.

Thanks for the tip on the fuel regulator, I located it on the bulkhead, not the engine.

Ken

Todd138
07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Where did you get the genuine lr shoes? Glad it helped!, i'm planning on setting my new pump this saturday. Bob told me where to get the return line fuel filter, do you have one?

siiirhd88
07-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I've seen some of the Proline shoes have too little arc, where the top and bottom of the shoe will bind. You could set the shoe in the drum before installing to see if it has the same arc as the drum..... Maybe a press could add more arc.

Bob

Todd138
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I should have thought of that Thanks.....

Rob P
07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Maybe a press could add more arc.

Bob
But would the brake lining bend along with the metal or would it crack and flake off?

Todd138
07-09-2010, 07:08 AM
good point.... I'm going to call rovers north today and see what they say. i'll keep you guys informed
But would the brake lining bend along with the metal or would it crack and flake off?

Ken Heaton
07-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Where did you get the genuine lr shoes? Glad it helped!, i'm planning on setting my new pump this saturday. Bob told me where to get the return line fuel filter, do you have one?
Hi Todd,
I got the Genuine Brake Shoes from Rovers North (same place that sold me the Proline stuff). We had good luck with the doors from Proline, they seemed to fit pretty good. I tend to use only Genuine parts, having learned my lesson using the after market suppliers.

I don't have a return line fuel filter, that seems like a good idea. I got the regulator with the return line from Summit Racing, same place I got the Mallory rotary gear type fuel pump, which is probably very similar to the Holley pump.

Todd138
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I put on the atlantic british shoes today. Great success! She stops on a dime......sorta....well she stop eventually. but i'm happy.

Todd138
07-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Ken, I ended up using a cheap($40) rotory pump from pepboys, it works great, I haven't had it out long enough yet to see if I have vapor lock. But I still have a very low Idle to almost shut off after ten mins. All my old aircooleds did that too i'm use to it.