PDA

View Full Version : ARB front bumper mods

Frank84
07-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Trying to get some tech going here in the Range Rover section....

I acquired an ARB bumper for the strange rover for a good price a few years ago. It might not be as strong as the rovertym ones but I think it actually looks pretty good on the front. However, the tow loops that come on it are a joke and always getting bent on rocks. I don't use a roller fairlead so I have a large piece of metal sticking off it that I don't use. And one of the most annoying aspects to me was the 2" gap between it and the body - it never looked like it lined up right though every other one I've seen sits in the same place. Plus, it hurts the approach angle by sticking out further than it needs to. So, I decided to try to fix the issues yesterday.

I should have taken more 'before' pictures but I have one at least. I'm about half way done with it now as you can see in the pictures. In order to bring the bumper in 2" and close up the gap I had to remount the trans cooler up about an inch and I had to replace two small bolts with shorter ones that mount some bars that hold up the radiator support. I chopped off the fairlead mount and tow loops and I will be installing new tow points higher up on the bumper this weekend and giving it a new coat of paint.

Anyone else do any mods to their ARB? I'll post up some more pictures when mine is done.

Tom109
03-27-2015, 07:52 AM
Frank,

What was involved in moving the ARB closer? Die simply drill new mounting holes, or was there structural work to the ARB frame horns?

I'm looking for a used ARB, and plan to remove the fairlead braces, and possibly bring it closer as you did.

galen211
03-27-2015, 12:54 PM
He kind of answered that question didn't he?

In order to bring the bumper in 2" and close up the gap I had to remount the trans cooler up about an inch and I had to replace two small bolts with shorter ones that mount some bars that hold up the radiator support.

I think the ARB has the best aftermarket look on an RRC of any bumper. I miss mine. :(

Frank84
03-27-2015, 05:34 PM
I ended up drilling new holes in the ARB frame horns for 3/8" bolts and also had to trim the back of the frame horns if memory serves me right because they would otherwise interfere parts of the chassis. Where the bumper wraps around the side by the blinker lenses it needed a little clearancing with a larger radius. It may just have been my truck, but I had to ream out the bumper mounting holes in the chassis to get the 3/8" bolts through, stock may have been metric or something from the factory.

Also, if you cut off the stock arb tow loops, don't cut flush with the bumper or you'll remove the weld that holds the frame horns in place. Look close before you cut and leave 3/8" or so protruding. I brought the bumper in close enough that I had to trim the bottom of the grill a little in order to clear the brush bar supports.

If you find a bumper and needs better picts of something let me know.

Disco96JSWB
03-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Seems like a great idea to trim off the extraneous pieces.
Tucking the bumper up closer to the body is like something Chip Foose would do on Overhaulin'.

jakeb44
03-29-2015, 08:18 PM
It helps in tight spaces too.

Frank84
03-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Nice picture! You can even see where I had to trim the grill. I think it looks much better after the mods, and it is Foose approved now as Jeremy points out!

Tom109
11-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Frank,

I finally found an ARB, and it's the non-winch version. It has some cleaning up ahead, and then a repaint, but I'll take it one step at a time.

Tom

Frank84
11-18-2016, 08:05 PM
Nice find Tom!

Tom109
11-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Frank,

I found a second ARB here in NJ and it's super-clean! This one fits the frame like a glove and had all the shims/backing-plates too, so I didn't dare modify it and just installed it stock. As it was, on a '95 you have to move the oil cooler up one inch for clearance anyway, and also slot the plastic under-radiator drip pan to re-fit the grill. So I think there will be considerably more shuffling to fit it ~2-inches closer.

I still have the rougher ARB, and if it doesn't sell I may still mod, clean-up and re-finish it. I like closer fit on your RRC.