PDA

View Full Version : CB install 04DII

mlp141
01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Who is ROVERS resident wiring guru? I want to install my little CB into the Pumpkin but am no wiring expert.

Anyone out there a veteran interior/wiring expert. I have a radio shack TR-503 which worked great in my Blazer. But, I never got around to installing it in the Disco.

Also, I need to buy an antenna and whatever wiring supplies I need. What does that entail?

kirkt
01-06-2006, 11:56 AM
If you are near the West Chester, PA area, there is a great CB store on 202 near Jimmy Johns Hot Dogs (accessible from the northbound lanes about a mile or so north of the intersection of 202 and Rt. 1). The guy there will hook you up with the antenna you need and tune your unit/antenna combo for you.

As for wiring, it depends on what you want to do with the radio. If you want it to be powered all the time, you simply run a +12V and ground from the battery, into the interior and splice into the connector harness that your CB has. The CB wiring usually has an in-line 2A fuse, so make sure that is in the +12V line - if it is not, it is simple enough to put one in. You can easily support the power requirements for a CB on 14 gauge wire with crip-on spade connectors (the flat, bladed connectors that have a "male" and "female" piece). Otherwise the "switched" power connection can be found in a number of places, including the +12V that supplies the cigar lighter on the center console. There is also a ground there, so you may opt for this choice so you don;t have to run wiring into the interior space from the engine compartment.

I am referencing a 2000 DII, so your layout may vary slightly, but not substantially I would imagine.

Good luck - you can email me :

kthibault@biomechanicsinc.com

with any questions.