PDA

View Full Version : The merit of keeping 1990's LR's on the road?

Tom109
10-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm in that semi-annual, re-evaluative mode of taking a good, hard look at keeping our 1996 Discovery. The vehicle is great - we absolutely love it! What I am seeing though is a complete deterioration in the quality of available replacement parts. Most stuff is not even worth the hassle of purchase, as shipping them back and forth for future warranty replacements is a loss for both me and the vendor. It seems that the price/quality issue has really slid lower - and even quicker - than I had ever anticipated

What do you think? Has their time come and gone?

Tom P.

Rob P
10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I guess it depends on what kinda parts you are getting. Normal service items that wear out or items like headlights, axle shafts, things that sometimes need replaced but there is no real competition among venders for quality and price.

I see just about as many series 1 discos as I do series 2 or LR3 in York. Eventually the rear half of all the D-1s will fall off from rust and they will no longer trouble you or I.

BTW, I'm gonna hang onto my D1 as long as I can, it only sees 1k miles a year and runs well.