PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover Brake Accumulator - Possible Recharge Service

DiscoSux
12-19-2010, 07:18 PM
While working with Randy yesterday I noticed that the Classic we were working on had a brake accumulator. I have been recharging Audi brake accumulators for about 8 years (www.audibombs.com).
I pulled the Range Rover accumulator (or "bomb" as we call it in the Audi world) and recharged it. Everything went smoothly and it is currently under going a 24 hour leak test (stuck it a heavy zip-lock bag).
This unit will be installed on another Classic and tested in the coming week or so. If it works I will be offering this service to Range Rover owners.
The bombs lose their charge slowly through the diaphragms over the years. My service recharges the nitrogen side to the original pressure (1175 psi).
This service will cost a bit less than my Audi service as the Rover ones are a bit easier - I am thinking $75 with shipping included. $40 core charge.
Thoughts? Comments? I am only putting it out to the ROVERS Club for now to get reactions.
Thanks!

galen211
12-20-2010, 09:47 AM
As a former RRC owner that had an accumulator that was more than likely low I would have paid for this service in a heartbeat.

ini88
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I have a spare bomb just incase the original starts to get worse. I will pay to get my spare serviced and swap and then service the other one! thanks for the info!

DiscoSux
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I have a spare bomb just incase the original starts to get worse. I will pay to get my spare serviced and swap and then service the other one! thanks for the info!

Great! I have a bit of work to do on the placement of the valve. My first try did work out so well.

I am trying to get a couple cores so I can service them then send them when a customer purchases. That saves a lot of hassle - out with the bad, in with the good.

I will update the club when I get set up. Thanks for the input.

ini88
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Great! Having a core swap will be nice. I was also looking into it and was wondering if there was another can manufacturer that we could use that also had an accumulator too. Maybe a newer model US car that we could use and valve the nitrogen ball the same. Might be more reliable than the RRC one and could route it with a longer SS braided line to the front nose of the truck for ease of maintenance. Does GM or Ford make one?

DiscoSux
02-15-2011, 11:44 PM
I do not know of any domestic cars that use this type of system. I have been doing Audi bombs for years.
An extended line is probably not necessary. They recharge should last 5 years. In addition, the area where the valve goes is rather tight.
I have my second bomb out for fitting. Hopefully this valve location will work!