PDA

View Full Version : Ringwood, Sunday March 6th

Frank84
01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Next Ringwood State Park trail clean up is being scheduled for Sunday, March 6th. Snow conditions (or lack of) will decide what we work on so no definite plans right now. Event is rain or shine.

Meet 9am in Ringwood, NJ - PM me for address. Everyone needs to be on time because we are working a couple miles into the woods. We generally return to pavement around 5pm.

Bring lunch, work gloves, and dress for being outside all day.

SNOW: If there is significant snow on the ground trucks will need either knobby tires or tire chains. Will be a last minute call.

Space is limited and the park requests numbers so post here to sign up.

Thanks
- Frank

grnthng
01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm in Frank, may be my last time with this 83... who know's. We might buy another vehicle for my wife and I'm seriously thinking of keeping her 93 LWB and wheeling that one.... either way one rover has got to go!:(

cris_rrc
02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Sign me in Frank :cool:

Frank84
02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
You got it Cris!

That makes 5 so far. Lots of room left.

Coniston
02-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Hoping to be able to make this one...the LWB has been acting finicky still...but maybe it just needs to go in its element again...

Frank84
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Hoping to be able to make this one...the LWB has been acting finicky still...but maybe it just needs to go in its element again...

Finicky? You should drive mine.

DiscoSux
02-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi Frank,
I am interested in helping. Could you provide some info on how/when we can use the trail? Is these an event there?
Thanks!
Dave
newbie to Rovers, just joined ROVERS...

87xj95disco
02-12-2011, 10:03 AM
let me see if i can get off work,have alot of vacation time.
if i do come i will not have my disco.

Frank84
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Frank,
I am interested in helping. Could you provide some info on how/when we can use the trail? Is these an event there?
Thanks!
Dave
newbie to Rovers, just joined ROVERS...

Welcome Dave! We get permission from the park to use the trails for the day of the clean up in order to work on removing garbage that has built up over the years. There is everything from beer cans to junked cars that need to be removed. Each trip we try to tackle a different project.

DiscoSux
02-15-2011, 11:32 PM
So, wheeling time for some clean up time? Fair enough!

I am waiting on some parts and need time to install before I go off-road. I'll stay tuned!

JerseyMudrat
02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Frank,
If you have room for another, I would like to join-in.
Is the meeting spot, through the gate off Sloatsburg road?

Frank84
02-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Frank,
If you have room for another, I would like to join-in.
Is the meeting spot, through the gate off Sloatsburg road?

Mike - Yup, still got room left. We meet at my parent's house which is just a mile or so from the park. We'll then head over to the park office to check in before going into the woods.

I'll PM you the address.

Frank

thechrisr
02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Frank, If room is still available, Count me (and the wife and kids) in. I fixed my clutch this past w/e and am putting new brakes and rotors on this week so I should be good to go.
-CHris

cris_rrc
02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Frank how many are we this time? any trail clean up like last time or just garbage?

Frank84
02-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Frank, If room is still available, Count me (and the wife and kids) in. I fixed my clutch this past w/e and am putting new brakes and rotors on this week so I should be good to go.
-CHris

You got it.

Frank84
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Frank how many are we this time? any trail clean up like last time or just garbage?

I think we're at 6 right now but there are some "maybe's" as well.

As far as the plans for the day go, I'm not sure yet to be perfectly honest. It will depend how much of the snow has melted by then. I took a quick spin up there this past monday to check out the conditions and they were very challenging. Might end up renting a generator (unless someone has one?) and bring the sawzall to work on cutting up one of the cars.

cris_rrc
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Challenging is a good thing ;).... looking forward to sunday

thechrisr
03-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Sawzall....sweet!

Coniston
03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Might not be able to take my truck through...it's on that brink "quirky" and "worrying." Don't know if I want to be way out in Ringwood with it right now. Some issues with exhaust leaks and oil level lately. Typical Rover stuff, but still don't want to risk anything.

If anyone's open to a ride-along...I'm a definite maybe. Depends on how the truck is feeling after a run southward on Saturday to get me to Frank's house, and how much I get done on some other "real life" projects between now and then. Hopefully can make it, though.

Frank84
03-05-2011, 10:45 AM
There's still a little snow on the ground and they are calling for some rain. Trip is still on though and we'll make the best of it. Dress for the weather!

Greg - there's always seats available if you don't want to drive.

cris_rrc
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Ahh!! I was just going to ask about the rain , I dont care it could a tornado for all I care , see you guys in the morning :cool:.... bring your waterproof boots and rain jacket !!

Frank84
03-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Just got back from the park and the conditions are excellent! Just enough snow left to make it fun but without needing chains. Your tires will definitely be spinning. Managed to still get myself stuck in a deep spot but the winch did its trick. Planned out the day as far as our intended route and garbage we'll be picking up. Should be great!

Still lots of room left! If you're not coming then your missing out on a great day in the woods.

Coniston
03-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Don't think I'll make it tomorrow -- I had a brake line burst on the RRC today (fortunately in the driveway as I was backing out, so it was safe), so I have no way to get up, even to ridealong. :(

I'm suffering the 150,000 mile maintenance curse.:mad:

cris_rrc
03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Frank, I have a friend coming with a cherokee ,last minute thing there is plenty of room I dont think that this will be a problem.

Frank84
03-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Frank, I have a friend coming with a cherokee ,last minute thing there is plenty of room I dont think that this will be a problem.

No problem!

Rob P
03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Did y'all drown?

JerseyMudrat
03-07-2011, 11:44 AM
No we didn't drown,, in fact it was a great event. Sure it rained a little from time to time, but Frank timed the lunch break and clean-up time perfectly so we enjoyed a rain free peroid while out of the vechicles.
This was our (my son and I) first event with ROVERS, we really enjoyed our time out with a great group of guys who were only too ready to help each other out when needed.
We really look forward to participating in future events rain or shine. (Snow or Ice)

Frank good organization, look forward to treking with you again soon.

cris_rrc
03-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Had a great time as well the rain made it more interesting and the ice too ,will be looking forward to the next meeting

grnthng
03-07-2011, 03:14 PM
We enjoyed ourselves as well.... was good to meet some new people yet again!
I am accustomed to driving in adversre weather in my line of work..... however I am still amazed at how much difference in temps and how much ice was still up there in such a small radius of a state!
Definitly going to invest in some snow chains.... although amazingly nobody needed them!
Thanks again Frank for taking time out to orginize these trips!

JerseyMudrat
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
We carried both a set of snow chains & mud chains in the back, but didn't want to ruin the "excitment", so we kept them in the sacks.
Nearly had to change underwear a couple of time though !!!

Rob P
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
We carried both a set of snow chains & mud chains in the back,

I assume that the snow chains have the V-bars on them and the mud chains don't?

grnthng
03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
It wasn't even snow..... it was pure Ice Road Trucker consistancy, needed spikes on the tires!
An older gentlemen in a bone stock Disco II with about 40% left on his street tires made it through....but I'll bet his ABS unit will be needing a long rest! :confused:

JerseyMudrat
03-08-2011, 04:21 PM
1 set of chains has 1/4" spikes, the other set not..
In reality the set with spikes is for ice, the other for snow.
But the snow chains have really help out in some of the "boggs" we have ventured into.

They also have proven helpfull on hill climbing events.

Just a pain to install & remove.

Rob P
03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh I do know about how well they work and the pains involved in useage. If you make it up to Robesonia you'll see me using them on my 96 D-1 for the Trials.

Frank84
03-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm a bit late here, but it was definitely a great day out. I was afraid that there wouldn't be much of a turn out with the weather but we had a great group and a bunch of people that were new to Ringwood. I guess someone was listening to my requests, because the rain stopped just long enough for us to enjoy lunch outside the cars and do the actual cleaning up. We did the work in a different area of the park than we normally do because of snow/ice and it worked out well.

Frank84
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Here's a few shots from the day....

Frank84
03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
And two more...

JerseyMudrat
03-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Thank you Frank ....

You just couldn't resist including a photo of me winding up the rubber band !

Just kidding ... "Great" day, thanks for your help and the antifreeze.

Last week I fixed the electric fan (loose wire in the temp controller) and installed a Yellow Top. Now ready to go....