PDA

View Full Version : Towing a series 3 "88"

JerseyMudrat
03-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have any experiance using those 2 wheeled towing dollies like you see outside the U-haul rental outlets?

I have a 1975 series 111 that I would love to take to the off road events in PA and VA etc. But with a top highway speed of ~ 50mph downhill with a tail wind, I'm gunna be using up all of my vacation days just driving to the venues and back to northern NJ.

I do have a heavy steel dual axis trailer that I used to tow behind a BIG American built truck (No names mentioned) I no longer have the old truck, current have an LR3.

I thought about renting and later purchasing IF all goes well, one of those 2 wheel tow dollies, but "someone" told me that the rear axle of the series 3 might not stand up to going any faster the 50ish.
If I use my LR3 and a tow dolly I figured I could run at ~ 65 on the highway..

Any input?

Does anyone know how the stock rear axle might react to the blacktop passing bye so quickly

Rob P
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I would think that the axle itself would be ok to go faster as it's the engine that is the limiting speed for self powered travel. However, transfer case/transmission may not like it. Email our club Prez and ask him, he's been flat towing the "Build-a-Rover" all over and I think he disconnects both driveshafts.

rvrsrvc
03-09-2011, 09:25 AM
There's a number of people who flat tow their Series. I use my LR3 to tow an 18ft double axle trailer with all sorts of Rovers, so I can't offer any immediate advice. I think Tom fitted 4 free wheeling hubs to one of his Series so that it's only the wheel bearings being rotated, instead of half shafts, differentials, prop shafts and transfer case.
I would suggest as long as the bearings are sound and adjusted correctly and all of the lubes are present, it should handle more than 50 mph!

Disco96JSWB
03-09-2011, 10:02 AM
The LR3 (V8) is rated to tow 7700 lbs. I use mine to tow an 1800 lb (empty) dual axle trailer with old Rovers and other off-road vee-hickles on it.
I would guess that the Series III 88" isn't any heavier than 3,500 lbs (?)
The brake controller plugs right into the LR3 wiring under the dash (same plug as a Ford). I think I paid $25 for the installation when I bought my trailer. The air suspension works great for towing.

If I were going to flat-tow a Series Rover (or use a car dolly), I'd certainly install free-wheeling hubs on the rear axle.

JerseyMudrat
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I liked your idea of going back to using my flat bed trailer with the series 3 straped on it. As I mentioned earlier, this was my prior mode but using a "BIG" truck at that time.

Afterall, I do have the trailer, I just need to get the LR3 set-up for towing.

I contacted a local trailer outlet about installing a brake controller in my LR3, but he declined stating the Land Rover has some "funky" wiring... So I called Paramus Land Rover, they told me that they have never installed one and they don't even see the parts listed in the "rip-off" parts book for the US market, the parts are shown for the UK market ~ long way to go to get a brake controller fitted!

Do you have any details that you can pass onto me about on the controller that you used and if the installation was "funky" or not?

Disco96JSWB
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
My brake controller is a TEKONSHA Prodigy electronic brake control.
I had it installed when I bought the trailer at Appalachian Trailers near Lebanon, PA. The guy had owned an Austin Mini Van when he was in the service and was posted in northern Scotland many years ago, so I had a good feeling about his ability. It works great.

There was nothing at all 'funky' about it. He wondered beforehand whether the break-away battery would charge properly, but it did. He plugged it in under the dash and that was it since I already had the harness installed in the rear for a non-braked trailer.

Because of the Ford ownership at the time the LR3 was developed, it's a Ford connection (i.e. plug) to the LR3 wiring harness, same as you'd buy for an F-150. He had it on the shelf. Let me know if you need any more info.

Jeremy

Rob P
03-12-2011, 11:44 PM
That looks like the same brake controller I have in my '08 250 super duty. Does it show a "c" when connected and have -, b1, b2, b3 settings for the brakes? I'm quite happy with the NON jerky performance of mine. We use twin and tripple axle trailers at work and I have towed as much as 13,000 lbs behind my 3/4 ton gas truck. Overloaded would be an understatement.

Disco96JSWB
03-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Does it show a "c" when connected and have -, b1, b2, b3 settings for the brakes?

Yes it does.

Let's have a contest for most unusual towing combination involving a Rover. Here are my entries.

JerseyMudrat
03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys, this is very helpfull info.

Not to be a pain in the you know what, but does the Tekonsha controller "literally" just plug-in to the original wiring harness ~ Is it a DIY job for a "mechanical" guy ?

PS: LOVE your idea.. "spotting an unusual tow" what's the prize?

galen211
03-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Flat-towing is easy. I have flat-towed my Series with various vehicles. I also flat-towed my RRC home with a D2 when I bought it. I do not have free wheeling hubs in the rear and you don't really need them. LR has a specific method for flat towing. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in fourth gear.

You could of course unbolt the driveshafts at the diff to be safe. It doesn't take much time and offers a more relaxed ride knowing the driveline isn't attached to the road.

JerseyMudrat
03-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Well, that was a pleasent experiance !

I searched "tinternet" for your recommended Tekonsha Prodigy controller and ended up contacting etrailer.com by phone.
A young lady called Lexus in customer service was most knowledgable, helpful and assured me that it's definately an easy DIY project even for me.
I swear if I lived any closer, she would have delivered it and installed for me.

Anyway, I purchased the unit together with an LR3 specific wiring cable which as you guys stated, simply plugs into the OEM harness.

So thank again guys for your guidence..

Plus, 2 thumbs up for Lexus and e.trailer.com