PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Rover Acquisition Today

DiscoSux
04-03-2011, 01:07 AM
I bought Lyle's DI today. I like all the goodies on it and wanted to put them on the 96k mile DI.

So...Randy, me and my son drive up to Dave's place in Robesonia with Randy's rig. Randy backs into Dave's driveway just a bit and we prep the trailer for the loading. Lyle came over from his house in his Series and parked across the driveway in fron of Randy's truck/trailer.

I went up the driveway to fetch the DI. My son decided he wanted to ride on the roof rack (it has flooring). So, I crept down the driveway and put the tires against the ramps. Lyle and Randy came down the driveway and motioned for me to drive up on the trailer.

I inched forward and started to get the front wheels onto the trailer. All of a sudden Randy's truck and trailer started moving down the dirt driveway with my newly purchased DI half on the trailer - right toward the side of Lyle's Series. Randy starts yelling, Lyle starts running, I have the brakes to the floor but the whole sha-bang is still sliding right toward the right side of the Series parked across the driveway. I tried desperately to get into reverse but the shifter was not mounted. I was trying to grab the base with one hand and the shifter with the other to get it into reverse (sha-bang still sliding).

Lyle jumps into Randy's truck and jams on the brakes and the truck finally slowed to a stop a couple feet from his truck! Holy smokes! My son came down from the roof with a ****-eating grin.

Freaking WOW, that was close! We got the truck loaded then Randy's truck would not shift out of Park. Lyle yanked him backwards a couple times (uphill) with the Series and (with a loud CRACK) Randy's truck shifted out of park.

All is well now but what a day. Watch for my truck with a roof rack, different ARB with a winch, diff guards and roof rack. I'll be out on the trail this year.

This is getting fun....

Rob P
04-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Your "Journey of a thousand miles" began with gravity's revenge.

Glad it all worked out.

crazyfish
04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Whoa, that had to be just a bit on the scary side....

sven
04-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Yikes!

pushngo
04-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Newbies!!!!!!!

galen211
04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Depending where you hit Lyle's Series it wouldn't have mattered anyway. :D

DiscoSux
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Newbies!!!!!!!

damn Canadians...

devildog01
04-04-2011, 02:30 PM
To bad you didnt get that episode an video.It would have been fun to watch.

DiscoSux
04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
To bad you didnt get that episode an video.It would have been fun to watch.

Definitely You Tube fodder. Much like the rest of the day with Randy checking the bulb on his dusk-to-dawn light while perched 20 feet up on a ladder leaning against a single telephone pole. I will admit that the electric wiring that the left side of the ladder was on did help steady it.

Seeing how the bulb did not work, Randy decided to be sure. He ripped another, dangling dusk to dawn light off the side of the building, screwed the bulb into that fixture then proceeded to test it by jamming the wires into a live extension cord. I thought Rob and I (with our sons) were going to see a light show. Luckily, nothing happened. I think Canadians must be made of rubber.

devildog01
04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
No Randy's crocs are made of rubber so he's ok with electricity.

pushngo
04-04-2011, 08:13 PM
You Guys, and I use the term loosely, are pussies

DiscoSux
04-04-2011, 09:42 PM
No Randy's crocs are made of rubber so he's ok with electricity.

Indeed. A pair on his feet and a spare pair in the truck.

In all sincerity - thanks for your help Randy. It is much appreciated. I bust nuts for sport. Speaking of busting nuts, where is Trevor? Trevor? Bueller?

I guess he's busy. He did hire a young boy...

DiscoSux
04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
You Guys, and I use the term loosely, are pussies

No. I was right with you in all your quests. I am just used to doing that sh!t with a few beers in me...

rvrsrvc
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
And The Canadian has heard the story of when the exact same thing happened to Todd with his part-time 4wd pick 'em up, a trailer, and a skid steer.