PDA

View Full Version : Build A Rover - New Information!

Ivar
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I think we need a separate thread on build a Rover.

Firstly, I would like to buy a ticket or two, and assume I can get them at Robesonia. But what about for those who want tickets but wont be at any of the events?

Also, some pictures would be helpful, especially the build process and the final product. I have some friends who might be interested. Anyone with pics? Tom might have all the pics, but seems to use a Yahoo Groups instead of this forum, and I know that many here on this forum do not receive his group emails.

Also, dont know if its possible and who is handling ticket sales, but an ongoing count would be fun to know.

From my side, I have myself and two others, so thats 3 ticket sales you can count on.

Ivar

galen211
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
100 tickets @ $100/each.

siiirhd88
09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Here are a couple of photos of the B.A.R. taken at the picnic.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/Projects/BARforPB1.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/Projects/BARforPB2.jpg

Bob

airbornrover
11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I stalk the different rover boards during the week ;) and have not seen any mentions of this raffle for your club rover. I think if someone were to mention it on the other rover boards your sales would pick for your tickets. Even more so if you provide links for photos and vids.

siiirhd88
02-11-2011, 08:00 PM
The Build a Rover SIII 88 is nearly ready. It runs great and has a lot of power (for a Series) with its 2.5 cam. I wish my 109 had the same power.....

The oil pressure guage has a bad Lucas sender and the fuel guage just doesn't want to function correctly, otherwise it is good to go.

We will soon be installing a new VDO oil pressure guage and sender, a new VDO voltmeter and a recently fabbed electronic instrument voltage stabilizer to replace the old bi-metal unit.

I think we will also swap out the ignitition switch due to periodic faulty switch contacts.

Tom B. currently has the raffle tickets, and there should be more info available after the SCC event.

Bob

crazyfish
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Build-a-Rover

100 tickets @$100 each. Drawing date is not set until all 100 tickets are sold.
From Tom:
Many of us in the Land Rover community have heard the Series Rover is like a full scale Meccano or Erector set, an assembly of parts you could mix or match. A simple design and easy to repair. Indeed thousands of these vehicles have undergone full scale rebuilds from the chassis up. Just the fact that you can buy a replacement chassis speaks volumes to the usefulness of the vehicle and the great lengths to which the owners will go to keep this workhorse on the road.

But what if you didn’t have a complete vehicle to start with? Just a pile of parts from various dismantled Rovers, that had been cast aside. Could you build one complete vehicle from all of that? Our club decided to try.

We had mostly Series 111 body parts so every attempt was made to keep it standard to that model. The brakes, electrical, and trim are all standard fare, so 10 years from now you could call your favorite Rover parts supplier and get the correct replacement items, just as if you had owned the vehicle from new.

Since we knew from the beginning the vehicle would be given away in a drawing, we wanted the vehicle to be reliable and safe. All of the hydraulic brake components are new, as are the clutch hydraulic parts. Some portions of the wiring harness are new, and we added a volt meter and oil pressure gauge in the dash, since these were often factory options. The engine is bored .020 oversize, with a complete valve job on an 8:1 head. The later 2.5 engine camshaft was fitted, along with a new Zenith carb, new distributor, and a new battery was fitted. The engine is quite peppy, something of a revelation to those of us who never got to drive one of these as a new car back in the day. We have fitted a Fairy O/D and front lamp protectors too. It even has new seat cushions.

All of the work was completed by club members, many are enthusiastic Series owners themselves so we had a vast pool of experience to draw upon for this project. This is not a restoration, it is simply a reconstruction of a vehicle much like if you did this yourself. The goal is to provide a vehicle ready to be used in the manner it was intended, not a garage queen. Everything works as it should.

Is it finished? Well, is any project ever really finished? Even now, we are looking for the lower sill panels and perhaps some rear fold up seats. It doesn’t have the rear headliner yet either, but this leave something for the new owner to get involved in and make it their own.

Mail a check for $100 to
R.O.V.E.R.S.
c/o Tom Bache
PO Box 43
Avondale, PA 19311

ROVERS Club can not use PayPay for a Raffle event.

crazyfish
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
More images:

siiirhd88
04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Tom has the sills, but they still need to be painted. I have a pair of the rear side bench seats ready, but I still need to find the little brackets to retain the seatback to the capping.

Bob

Frank84
04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Wow! Looks great all finished up. Got my ticket already.

JerseyMudrat
04-07-2011, 08:23 AM
That Series 111 looks great, good job guys!

I'll be sending my ticket money today.

Frank, I have seen a "similar" looking unit parked by a house/repair shop on 511, do you know the guy?

JerseyMudrat
04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Just wanted to confirm, I mailed my check for 2 tickets this morning...

crazyfish
06-20-2011, 05:04 AM
Updated Info:
Tom sent me this link http://buildarover.com/

Tom Bache
07-08-2011, 05:42 AM
HI Everyone,

We now have a website for ticket purchase via PayPal.

www.buildarover.com

You receive a copy of the newsletter and a bonus ticket. We register all tickets, so you need not be present to win. The title will be handled once we know who wins it so we don't have to pay tax or extra fees, only to turn it over again.

Tickets are $100 each, and we sold 56 to date. We will have the drawing at the picnic Sept 17th.

derekdilks
07-10-2011, 04:06 PM
fingers crossed....

Ivar
08-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Does anyone know how the raffle will handle online tickets sold through buildarover.com, and those tickets that were sold at Robesonia in the fall? I have two tickets I bought at Robesonia (I think thats what they are for anyway).

If they are picked from a hat in a hat or a rusty gas tank or whatever, they will be different sizes (so can be manipulated), and I really want mine to win :p

Tom ... anyone?

crazyfish
08-29-2011, 07:46 PM
All the tickets came off the same roll as far as i know... except for mine. it's a 3 x 5 card covered in glue

rvrsrvc
08-30-2011, 04:34 AM
I can't find mine....

Ivar
08-30-2011, 05:25 AM
I know what you mean ... The tickets I have could be from the jersey shore for all u know!

Ivar
08-30-2011, 05:30 PM
So I went online and bought 2 for my friend ... thought I would receive numbers or something. Nothing! 200 bucks gone and a confirmation saying my item had shipped :confused:

Tom ... where are you ... give us that warm feeling that you have it all under control! How do you identify each item bought online and match it up to a ticket from your ticket roll (the one that most of us have lost already)?

crazyfish
08-31-2011, 01:22 AM
I saw Tom keeping a list of ticket numbers and names. I figure if Tom can find anything in his vast array of junk err inventory, this should be simple.

scatterling
08-31-2011, 01:33 AM
.....this 'drawing' is going to be epic....;)

Ivar
08-31-2011, 03:09 AM
I think there might just be some boxing! I'm going to take the gear lever back if I dont win!

sven
08-31-2011, 08:48 PM
I forgot to tell you guys but I won this thing about 3 years ago. Sorry for the confusion :p

rvrsrvc
09-10-2011, 05:47 PM
So, seriously, I can't find the 2 tickets I bought a looonnngg time ago. Is there a contingency plan in place for a situation like this, or am I just out $200 for my carelessness?

crazyfish
09-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Tom has the master list. No worries.

Tom109
09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
How about the Club Presidency comes along with winning the Rover?

Tom P.

crazyfish
09-28-2011, 03:42 AM
The rover was won by Dan in Connecticut, and has been notified. I understand he is currently on a submarine....

Rob P
09-28-2011, 05:12 AM
We all live on a Yellow Submarine,
Yellow Submarine,
Yellow Submarine!

red64chevelle
11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Not a yellow one, but a normal black boat.

I have been jumping in and out of port, so I have not had a chance to post yet. I have worked it out with Tom to pick her up the day after Thanksgiving. I really can't wait. I also have an 86 Defender 110 (ROW) that really got me into Rovers. My friends tell me that with two rovers, I can use the other one to fetch parts when one gets needy.

I will post some pics of the trip from PA to RI.

scatterling
11-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Congrats!!

JerseyMudrat
11-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Mega congrats Dan, ENJOY

Maybe next year we can "joy ride" through the beutiful Connecticut countryside together in our series 3's.

red64chevelle
11-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Sounds good. I received an e-mail today that the plates and reg are being mailed to my house now. I really can not wait to get back and pick her up.

crazyfish
11-03-2011, 05:03 PM
oh good, that gives us a few day to "take a test run" or two or...