PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Glass Window Channel

JerseyMudrat
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Has anyone every replaced the original furry window channel in the front doors with the after-market plastic version ?

I bought the plastic versions from the "Series 3 club" in England, but it looks like the thickness at the base of the "U" is so thin that the heads of S/S countersunk screws will protude above the surface causing the sliding glass bump into them.

I will try to fit a thin spacer between the underside of the channel and the metal window frame, but I woundered if anyone had a similar experiance.

rijosho
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm no series expert but aren't the Defender and Series door tops fairly similar? You could maybe give Paul over at Garrison a call if they are.

http://myworld.ebay.com/garrisonoutfitters

airbornrover
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
NAS window tops are not the same as series tops. RN, I know sells whats basically a shim (thin strip of metal) that goes under the furry window channels. (between channel and door top frame.) That strip I believe is shown in the parts catalog. I dont have any knowledge or experience with the plastic ones you bought. I do know of the rubber type ones that Rocky Mountain sells and there are write ups on TerriAnns and LRfaq website. Which does help a little.

scatterling
04-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I put the Rocky Mountain channels on both trucks - they are great.

bossongs
04-13-2011, 08:23 PM
I had a similar experience - but you skipped the joyous experience of removing the originals and the rusty little screw head remnants.

I went with Rocky Mountain window tracks, as well. A huge improvement ... less rattle and NO sliding open/closed when wheeling.

Steve B.

JerseyMudrat
04-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Sliding window in drivers door now re-fitted with the plastic track that I had purchased from the Series 111 club in the UK.
I did purchase and use the thin metal shim from Rovers North, thanks for the tip !

Several details on my 75, Series 111 are a little differant to the NA versions including the door windows & channel.
(I shipped an "original" over from England, so I have to be a little carefull when ordering parts here)

Now ready to face the elements !