PDA

View Full Version : An entry for The Most Unusual Attempt to Avoid Spending Money to Fix a Rover.

rvrsrvc
04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Expanding foam and RTV to seal the leaky air spring; the clogged oil seperator caused an intake gasket failure that spewed oil everywhere. Replaced the seperator, and the intake, with a stern warning about the potential of the gunk to loosen, it later clogged the oil pick up, but only temporarily.
Customer's call from I 83/25 miles from the shop: "the oil light is on, did you put any oil in?"( We in fact did put oil in and had driven the Rover 20 miles ourselves without issue) and "Should I stop driving now?".

rijosho
04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
That is horrible. HAHAHAHAHA

Rob P
04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
I agree, that's really really bad.

What's an oil seperator? Only thing that comes to mind for me is oil and water? Filter?

DiscoSux
04-20-2011, 07:39 AM
WOW! Rob is the most money conscientious Rover owner I know (and love it Rob, trials event on bald street tires with chains? AWESOME) and even he would not do these ghetto repairs. the question begs: why would a guy like this being his Rover to Elizabethtown's number 1 Rover Garage for repair? New Owner? Idiot? both?

Just how "stern" was your warning? I have a good lump for sale cheap. $250 DELIVERED to the Lab, just add your installation fee...

$200 if you do the install in your bicycle pants. Randy, you bring the beer.

rvrsrvc
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
On a GEMS engine, in the passenger's side rocker cover, under the rubber hose, is a metal nipple. Inside the nipple is a plastic set of "D" shaped discs, molded onto a stem. The flat of each "D" is oriented in alternating positions. The theory is that any excess crankcase pressure can travel past these discs back into the plenum to be burned again, and the oil will "cling" to the discs and not get drawn up into the intake. When the engines gunk up, the seperator will clog, air/vacuum/pressure will not flow, the crankcase pressurises and leaks happen. The hose on the vacuum side of the sep. will suck close, develop a hole and become a leak. Intake gaskets will fail, lightning will strike and a plague of locusts will infest Discosux's shorts.

Rob P
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I like the bit about the locusts, a brother in law I once had left a note on my windshield that said, "May the fleas of a thousand camels inhabit your armpits."

DiscoSux
04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
...and a plague of locusts will infest Discosux's shorts.

yeah,...well...um...your mom wears Army boots...

(ya got me, no response, you win)