PDA

View Full Version : 200Di conversion in my 88 - got her started today!

bossongs
05-09-2011, 04:42 AM
I took my '88 off the road in November for a diesel conversion ...and ... decided to rebuild the tranny while it was out ...and the firewall needed some attention ...and ... you know the drill.

I still have to get the seat bench, floorboards, etc. back in. A few pictures attached ...everything fit into the engine bay nicely (no un-natural acts!). Thinking about adding a veggie tank, but need to get her back on the road first. These things take a lot longer than you think up front when you have to tackle them in 2 hour increments btwn the kids soccer, ballet, etc ion the weekends!

Steve B.

scatterling
05-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Awesome!

JerseyMudrat
05-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Steve, That's real awsome!

rvrsrvc
05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
That just looks so right! I'm in need of a 200 and a 300, got any leads?

rijosho
05-09-2011, 10:33 PM
That really does look like a thing of beauty. Nice job!

mlp141
05-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Hey Steve -- that makes me want to steal your truck even more!

bossongs
05-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Haaa - If you had stopped by my garage in early January when I was dealing with seized thermostat-to-head bolts ...I just may have turned my head and let you steal her!

I hope to get her on the road for a test drive in 2 weeks - very eager to see how it performs.

I ended-up replacing the new Series motor mounts I had installed with Defender mounts after having all the fillings rattled out of my teeth last weekend. The motor idled smoothly and was not visibly shaking/vibrating at all ...but the vibration transfer to the chasis was something! The larger and softer mounts made a big difference.

Just buttoning things up now.

Steve B.

galen211
05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Steve,

2 questions for you:

1. Was the title's absence of a "T" intentional? Is this a TDI or no turbo?

2. Does this motor mount straight to the Series transmission? I also heard that no frame modification is necessary?

I have heard a 200tdi can bolt right to the existing frame mounts with no mods. I would love to have a tdi in my Series.

bossongs
05-14-2011, 02:22 AM
No typo - I went back and forth on the choice. It's a non-turbo. Why?

Goals -
1) I wanted to convert to a diesel .. and wanted to stick with a rover diesel and not get into a major hack job to the drive train, frame, etc.
2) Wanted to stop saying "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can ...I know I can ..." with my 7 year old son on every hill.

#(2) knocked out the 2.25 and 2.5NA diesels. I ran a cross a few 2.5TDs, but wasn't comfortable they'd be worth the time-effort investment given the sketchy history. I liked the TDI200 Option <who doesn't> ... but finding a TDI200 of Defender origin is tough and $$$. Finding one from a Disco is easier/cheaper ....but, the Turbo plumbing doesn't fit.

I ran across some resources that discussed the 200Di option and thought it was an interesting choice. It hit's my goals, was cheaper and gives me an option to upgrade to a TDI should I not be happy with the power (Oh Joy, another potential project).

The 200Di is projected to have the same HP as a fresh Petrol with 30+ % more torque for those long uphill grades on the highway ... and give about 30 mpg. Additionally, the power rating lines up for compatibility with the original gearbox/transfer case and axles. The TDI200 would stress them a bit more ..and lead to my next set of projects, torrel brakes, etc.

In terms of your second question.

The bell housing lined up nicely to the Gearbox. The only issue I had was that two of the studs (at roughly the 4 and 8 O'clock position) did not line-up. The bell housing casting had two holes next to those studs that did line-up ... I simply had to tap those two holes in the bell housing and move two studs ...and wallah, they mated up with Zero other mods ... stock 200TDi clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing.

Motor mounts - I unbolted the steel mounting points from my 2.25 case and bolted them onto the 200 - straight fit. Everything lined-up with the mounting points on the frame - zero mods with stock Series motor mounts. Per my last posting - those didn't cut it. I bought a set of Defender V8 Mounts (bigger diameter and softer rubber) ... i Had to 'adjust' them with my angle grinder to make them fit ...minor work at best ..and made a huge difference.

Rob P
05-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Now from somebody who doesn't know the difference, me, is a 200Di the same motor as a 200TDI with the turbo removed? Is the compression ratio the same on both engines? Not sure what donor vehicle a 200Di comes from. I know the Series had a small na Diesel (2.25?) and that there was a 2.5 T and nonT engine and then the 200TDI and 300TDI then the TD5 but after that it gets a bit blurry for me.

I've always wanted to get a MOT failure 96 Disco LH Drive with the TDI engine and automatic and park it side by side with mine and have a swapping party. Should be easy enough to rivet that VIN plate back on once the windshield is out.....

bossongs
05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Rob,

It's a TDI200 from a Disco ... turbo removed.

Here's a link to one of the resources I referenced that led me down this path ...

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

Rob P
05-18-2011, 06:18 AM
I read the front page of the article. I'd be curious how the compression ratio being lower for the turbo input would affect the non-turbo version. Wonder if shaving the head or changing pistons would be in order?

Tom109
05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Looks like a nice clean install! Also, the "DI" is my personal favorite for a Series LR diesel transplant. Is there an aftermarket exhaust adapter available, or did you fab one up?

Tom P.

bossongs
05-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi Tom,

http://www.roverresource.com/ ...fab'd the exhaust downpipe.

Steve B.

bossongs
06-09-2011, 04:53 AM
I got her out on the highway today after a few low speed runs on the local roads ... tonights trip included the stretch of the Route 1 bypass that led to my frustration on the rolling hills in and out of Kennett Square, PA.

Overall - I'm very pleased with this conversion - but I'm still dealing with a bit of excess vibration at idle.

The first thing you notice - is the engine driven vibration at idle. I used the larger motor mounts and was generous with the Dynamat. As soon as I get th tiniest bit off-idle ...the vibration disappears and she's as quiet as the 2.25 petrol.

The second thing you notice is the torque :o it's exactly what I was after. This thing pulls up hills even in overdrive. Overall, it doesn't feel over powered - nice and steady. That frustrating hill that slowly ground me down to down shifting to crest at 45mph ... I passed two cars at 65 on the way up the hill. I wasn't gunning it and the other cars clearly weren't running hard either ...but it was nice to be able to pull up that hill.

The third thing I noticed ... after, a 45 min drive up to Kennett and around some back roads. I rolled into the driveway and the Fuel Gauge hadn't moved ...easily a 2+ gallon trip with the 2.25 Petrol.

I still need to sot out the idle 'harmonics' through the frame ... the idle is nice and smooth ..but is seems to get the Steering column and the dash vibrating to a point of displeasure. So, not perfect ... but it put a huge smile on my face tonight.

Cheers, Steve B.

mlp141
10-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Hey Steve - any updates on your conversion? I'm trying to figure out a way make a conversion happen for my 88.

bossongs
10-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I have managed to resolve the most annoying vibrations coming in through the Steering column and the dashboard. The Steering column issue was related to two things - (1) the rubber piece in the steering column mount at the firewall was completely deteriorated. I replaced that with fresh rubber left over from my door seal replacement, and (2) this made the biggest difference - the steering wheel was tightened down such that the spring that sits between the washer and the steering column was completely crushed down. Backing that off 2 turns dramatically reduced the vibration of the steering wheel and the dash(surprisingly). So simple - who would have thunk it. Keep in mind, that neither of these conditions created any issue with the Petrol motor.

After resolving the biggest annoyance, others became more apparant ...the motor still sends a vibration through the frame and anything loose and metallic shook and made noise. Example: Hood support bracket (holds the hood up open) vibrated wildly and made a racket. I went through each item and installed a rubber buffer or something to prevent metal-to-metal contact. Overall, the idle vibration annoyance is 90% resolved. I'd like to smooth it out a bit more and am looking at some hydraulic puck-type motor mounts that I should be able to fit ...but, that's just me wanting to tinker to perfection.

Driving wise - I've had this on the road for a year. I couldn't be more pleased with Drive-ability, Performance and Fuel economy. The DI is the perfect choice for a Series (if you are not a purist - but, at least it's a Landie motor). I had it up at the Robesonia Trial last Spring and had a blast - it idled up the hills in low range with tons of torque and climbing over obstacles required a very light touch on the throttle. On road, it holds 65mph in overdrive on an incline with no issues ....and fuel economy, I stopped tracking after my 10th tank of fuel. My 10 samples ranged from 28-31 mpg - no kidding.

Frank84
11-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Sounds like the DI conversion is a winner in a Series! That mileage is fantastic. If/when I get a Series I'll have to seriously consider this. The vibrations aren't a surprise - my diesel has unearthed few vibes in my car too now.