PDA

View Full Version : Broken rear shock

Disco96JSWB
05-24-2011, 06:33 PM
We broke the stud off the bottom of an OME shock on Saturday.

It was an N25 OME bought from Rovertym about 4 years ago in conjunction with their heavy duty rear springs (probably an honest 2.5" lift).

The N25 is for some kind of Nissan sold only in the rest-of-the-world. Rovertym sold it as their 'extended length' shock at the time.

On full compression, with the rear locker engaged, the shock was fully compressed before the axle was in contact with the bump stop on that side. The shock didn't stand a chance . . .

Trevor
05-25-2011, 05:48 AM
I've got one. If you want it, it's yours. I broke its mate as well. I made adapters for my rear shock mounts in order to use loop to loop shocks.

Disco96JSWB
05-25-2011, 06:01 AM
I've got one. If you want it, it's yours. I broke its mate as well. I made adapters for my rear shock mounts in order to use loop to loop shocks.

Trevor! How's it going? Jake and I were just talking about how we haven't seen you for a while.

Thanks for the offer of the shock, but I'm going to replace them with ones that are shorter. You can have the 'good' N25 so you have a matched set.

Let's go to Rausch Creek.

Jeremy

Trevor
05-26-2011, 03:23 AM
I haven't made it to a Rover event for a while. My RRC has been off the road for over a year now. Life's been busy and I just haven't had time to work on it. Last spring I had to repair an exhaust leak in order to get it inspected. That's when I decided to patch a few holes up.

I got the holes patched and then the exhaust put back together at the end of the summer. The goal was to have it done for trials, which almost happened. The leaks I knew about were fixed, but I then found the exhaust manifold to be leaking. All the bolts came out easily except one, which snapped off in the head. I then managed to snap off a Snap On EZ out in the bolt.

Now I'm in the process of pulling everything off in order to repair or replace the head.

So... Rausch Creek sounds great, but its going to take me a little while longer to get things together.

It's nice to see that you're back in the D1. Did you sell the FJ?

Disco96JSWB
05-26-2011, 11:24 PM
All the bolts came out easily except one, which snapped off in the head. I then managed to snap off a Snap On EZ out in the bolt.

When I think about replacing my clutch, it's the exhaust I always worry about.

We're happy to have our old Disco back. The first day we got it back we cut the carpets out and painted the floors with POR-15.

The FJ is gone. It had its good points, but we kept breaking it. Rocks are tough on axles. There's no getting around that.

Jeremy

Frank84
05-27-2011, 03:39 PM
I had the same thing happen with the bolts breaking off in the head. Two on one side and one on the other. I've been driving it for 4 years like that but it will get fixed sooner rather than later. Surprisingly it doesn't leak there. Mine is off the road now for multiple reasons, #1 being the lack of brakes.