PDA

View Full Version : 96 di

rvrsrvc
05-30-2011, 05:34 PM
I picked up this Rover recently and am undecided what I want to do with it. It has 132k miles, had consumed a t-case due to a lack of oil which also caused a chronic check engine light due to the plastic drive gear for the VSS having melted.
I've fitted another t-case, welded in a straight pipe for the failed muffler and have used the car for a number of errands around town.
Issues:
Windscreen is cracked- I have a new one at my parent's shop and would be willing to transport the Disco there to have the glass installed there, rather than risk moving the windshield!
The left rear rotor/hub is wet with gear oil;
the a/c doesn't blow cold;
the right rear window regulator has failed;
the front of the Rover sits lower than the rear- I have a pair of decent springs from a 90 that I could fit.

Starts, stops, turns well. The roof paint is faded, but the grill, bumper, hood, and fenders are resprayed. Also, there are no decals on the leading edge of the bonnet. Obviously some kind of fender bender, but appears to have been competently repaired. the bumper does sit a close to the grill, but that is adjustable somewhat.

I have a grand total of $1400 into this Rover if I apply my full labor rate to the work performed so far.

Ideally, I would like to sell it to a club member and perform some upgrades- maybe as a shop day project for example- and keep it within the "family".

This is the first time I have seen this Rover in my shop and haven't performed any repairs or maintenance to it personally, but it comes with a stack of invoices from the previous owner, including headgasket repairs.
Does this catch anyone's fancy?

I'll post a few pix this afternoon.
Also, it's a cloth interior and no sunroofs, although the headliner is sagging.

scatterling
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
why not use this one as a shell for big blue?

Rob P
05-31-2011, 03:41 AM
When you post "96 Di" all I could think about was the recent 88 200di that was completed.
Obviously not a Diesel Disco. Don't think you'd part with it that easily.

rvrsrvc
05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Ah, good question! I am contemplating fitting all of the stuff from Big Blue- lockers, sliders, winch bumper, armor, steering links- onto the 92 RRC and keeping it more stock like.
I see a 2" lifted RRC with CDL, locked 4.10's w 235/85's, plus a/c, carpet, stereo a more practical vehicle -dependant overlander for the family than BigBlue . Yes, the a/c works in BB, I could buy a set of more streetable tires, but maybe after 14 years of door handle high immersions, flops, involuntary roofrack removals, crushed exhausts, it's time for a change?!

DiscoSux
06-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Ah, good question! I am contemplating fitting all of the stuff from Big Blue- lockers, sliders, winch bumper, armor, steering links- onto the 92 RRC and keeping it more stock like.
I see a 2" lifted RRC with CDL, locked 4.10's w 235/85's, plus a/c, carpet, stereo a more practical vehicle -dependant overlander for the family than BigBlue . Yes, the a/c works in BB, I could buy a set of more streetable tires, but maybe after 14 years of door handle high immersions, flops, involuntary roofrack removals, crushed exhausts, it's time for a change?!

Oh yeah, I can see "A" driving this to the Med Center... :p

rvrsrvc
06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Well, the pioneer stereo has a better bluetooth mic than the LR3!

rvrsrvc
07-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Ok, replaced the windscreen and all 4 seals, repaired the leaky left rear hub, replaced the front brake pads and rotors, replaced the right rear window regulator, fitted a used Discovery 1 muffler.
Any one interested yet?

rvrsrvc
10-19-2011, 02:38 PM
New price $2250

rvrsrvc
12-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Fitted a used trans oil cooler today- Thanks Randy- and the price through Jan 1 is $1500 including the $10 worth of fuel just added 10 minutes ago.