PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth -- 65 IIa 88"

mlp141
01-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey Tom and you other series guys, I need your help.

A former coworker's uncle has a 1965 IIa 88 that's been sitting for quite some time. It is in Iowa (where I once lived) and I want to make a fair offer but get a good deal just the same. He feels the same way too. My friend is going to try to send some photos but the truck is buried under tons of junk in the garage. Plus, Andy is no car guy and has little to no idea what I'm talking about when I tell him things Rover related.

Anyway, I just got off the phone with his uncle and here're some details:

1965 Series IIa -- US (LHD) version

Original 2.25l petrol (thinks it has a bad rod, but ran when he stopped using it)

Hard top with sliding windows (no tropical roof) with spare tire on rear door

Stainless front bumper

Frame -- says its in decent shape, but rust on rear cross member

Bulkhead -- says its in decent shape

Ran before he took it off the road a while ago (he cannot remember when, but at least 10+ years ago). Has been in his garage ever since.

Says steering was pretty loose and the brakes were not too great as he remembered

He never off-roaded it, but the truck originally came from CO so who knows

Said the RF fender had some dings but body was in good shape otherwise

Was repainted once into a darker/racing-type green, he stripped the hood but never finished the job

The "flat" floorboards were changed to stainless but the "angled" ones were still original and he though need replacing

That said, this is somewhat of a project truck. It would need to be driven back on a trailer from Iowa.

What is a fair offer to make? I really am not sure and I need your help. Thanks.

crazyfish
01-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I''ll take the low road here. $500. Fred had a roughly similar 88 with great frame, shot motor, missing doors, decent bulkhead as I remember. I think he was asking $750 at the first Sortout.

jason
01-28-2006, 02:44 PM
You may want to help him sell it locally, since transport from that area would be between $600 and $1400, which is probably a lot more than it's worth. I don't know where in Iowa he is, but he can call Des Moines Land Rover to see if anyone there knows anyone interested. (515) 334-8352

mlp141
01-29-2006, 04:47 PM
I was thinking $500 as well and if he is cool with that, I will buy it.

I will be going to Iowa for a wedding in July, so I may as well drive to it and tow her back just the same. Since I have to be out there anyway, it's not that big of a deal I suppose.