PDA

View Full Version : LR Coiler to J**p Wrangler Unlimited ???

Tom109
06-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Is this a big disappointment waiting to happen?

We been thinking of replacing our D1 for a while, but she just keeps on going! We've gone round-n-round with several vehicles, but just can't find the right mix. It really shows what a great all-rounder the D1 is. I owned a CJ5 in HS, but have no practical knowledge of the current J**p line/brand.

Owning a VW Tdi, we initially looked primarily at fuel consumption. That did not leave us much to work with. Then we discussed features we'd trade MPG for, and that brought us to the 4-door Wrangler. It looks OK, but combine it with the Adventure Trailers Habitat tent-top and we'd be golden for 5+ years!

This is just the latest turn our Discovery replacement odyssey has taken, with few targets in sight. Any advice from Rovers-land?

Tom P.

Rob P
06-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Well, it kinda depends on what you want to use it for. If you're already a VW fan why not a Tourag? I'm not sure if the awesome twin turbo V-10 is available anymore or not but Four Wheeler gave that combo very high marks.
My neighbor just got his 3rd Jeep in 4 years and he loves 'um.
If I had the dough I'd go with the '06-current LR3-4 models. Better off highway than the RR but same drivetrain I believe.
Or buy a 4x4 conversion van from Quigleys in Manchester pa. They take full size Ford vans, add a solid front axle/transfer case and outfit them the way you want. Sportsmobile?

DiscoSux
06-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Any advice from Rovers-land?

Tom P.

Get the RUBICON. These trucks are too cool too not consider. Capable and reliable, kinda like a Honda for off-roading...

GL,
Dave
in Rover hell and loving it (for the time-being)

DiscoDaze
06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Try a 1999 Bosch engine Disco II.
You can get one fairly cheap and aside from a short list of parts to
be changed right away; they are pretty solid.
Anyway, Jeeps are boring.

Tom109
06-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not interested in putting up with all the D2 crap. See, I've owned a D1 for 15 years, and newer is NOT better. Decent D1's are thin on the ground, so a search for some balance of fun/economy/reliability (relative to a D1, and not necessarily in that order) has begun.

Whatever we get, it doesn't have to fill the LR niche - that's what our 109 is for...

Tom P.

mlp141
06-23-2011, 04:57 AM
Tom -- I had a 4-door Rubicon for a few years. There were many things that I loved about it, and some that I didn't love.

First off, it was capable. Lockers front and rear, 4.11 gears, beefy tires and a solid suspension all from the factory makes for a capable stocker. My truck had the 3.8 liter v6 -- but the new ones have a 3.7l that's supposed to be a much stronger engine. Mine could have certainly benefited from some more HP and torque. From what I understand, the new 6 offers both.

One the flip side, for as big a vehicle as it is, the inside really isn't all that big, There's no useful storage space, the width of the interior isn't much -- and I'm a smaller guy. Also, the soft top was a major pita to get up and down.

My final thought -- having purchased my truck new, I didn't have the heart to really off road it hard. Scratches turned me off the most and I couldn't bring myself to crash through the brush with it. It was my only vehicle too -- so i could afford to beat it up too much.

If you have any specific questions let me know. FWIW, I got rid of mine last summer -- I now have a far more practical F150 crew cab 4X4.