PDA

View Full Version : Shop weekend at my place?

mlp141
06-27-2011, 06:41 AM
It kills me that my series has never been road worthy and has been in the same spot in the driveway for 4 years. Honestly though, I need help making it happen.

The outrigger to mount the gas tank rotted off and I'm not a welder. The master cylinder is dead and in removing it I broke the break lines. God only knows what else lies ahead.

I had it running last summer and I am confident that it won't take much to get that little 2.25 alive. But I want to actually drive it! It's been sitting here far too long.

That said, are some of you willing to help?

I know that NJ is out of the way for most of you, but I live only a few miles from the beach if that entices any of you. I have a modest sized yard that could accommodate tents et al. And, best of all, Alicia wants to do this too!

I have plenty of hand tools but no garage. We do have a car port which would at least provide shade.

If there is some interest I could put the wheels in motion.

Rob P
06-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Close to the beach with a yard big enough for a tent? Why didn't you mention this four years ago?
Seriously though, tent camping with the S.O. and the 1yr old and 4 year old might be a stretch.

Disco96JSWB
06-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Mike,
Jake and I would like to help.
I've seen the truck and agree it should be reasonably straightforward to get it going.
My parents live fairly close by, so that gives another reason to go down there.

How about some pictures to get the process going. Although I have the benefit of having seen your 88", I don't remember the fuel tank/outrigger issue.

Take a few brake system pictures too. How long has it been since they were 'up'?
Is the clutch system dead too?

Time is the problem, but it shouldn't take very long to get the brakes going if you had the parts. The outrigger should also be relatively easy to fix. Let's try to break it down into discrete 'projects.'

Regards,
Jeremy

mlp141
06-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Jeremy - good idea. Tomorrow I'll take some pix and maybe a short video to show ppl where it's at.

galen211
06-29-2011, 03:59 PM
I think you'll need to break it down. One weekend for the outriggers. Another for the brakes and such.

In my experience it also helps if you can do as much of the other work before the shop weekend. For instance, you can unbolt and remove the floor panels and seatbox without too much hassle in an evening. Then that is one less thing to do before working on the outrigger. Same with the master cylinder, pull the front fender off so you have lots of working space, that's another easy evening job.

Now that you have an F-150 you may also consider what Tom talked about last year. A shop day at Bill's might be what you really need. Its a central location for many people and the garage has everything you need to work on a Series including Bill's cousin who is a great welder.

As I said it may take 2-3 weekends but then you will be set with a running truck. If I remember right you have all the parts, you just need the manpower!

BTW, thanks for the article that was awesome. I want a bus.

DiscoSux
06-30-2011, 06:42 AM
I could be "in".

If I show up though I want to work! You would have a lot of homework to do. Get a bunch of jobs lined up, a to-do list. Have parts ready. That is always my "firewall", gotta have the parts.

I can't weld but I am a mean wrencher. I can come with compressor and tools. Oh, I will also bring my family to enjoy the beach while I am wrenching.

I would not do any work, just have things to do. A couple guys could gut that truck in less than an hour.

If you can recommend a local hotel and a good place at the beach for the kids to go...

Cheers,
Dave

Rob P
07-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Anybody else confused by Dave's post? Friends don't let friends post drunk.

DiscoSux
07-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Anybody else confused by Dave's post? Friends don't let friends post drunk.

blah blah blah...blah blah blah :p