PDA

View Full Version : Our Jeep replacement

siiirhd88
07-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Our generally winter use '91 Jeep Cherokee was needing replacement due to rust and badly worn suspension. We figured to buy a used Wrangler, but we ran across this while on vacation in North Carolina. It was on consignment at a small used car lot when we happened to go by, so we stopped in for a look. The seller wanted $9k, the dealer wanted $6k, so we settled for $5k.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/Kalahari1.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/Kalahari2.jpg

It is one of the 150 yellow Kalahari edition 2002 DII SE's and has 110k miles, was a two owner truck with clean Carfax, no codes, three amigos clear. The radio, front sunroof and left mirror are inoperative, and the driver's seat is worn. It is missing the apparently standard roof rack. The underside is very clean with no rust issues. It was in Florida until 50k miles and in NC until we bought it, so no road salt issues.

It made the 435 mile run back to Pa. without any problems. We really didn't need another Rover, but it is a good match with our '02 DII SD. I was also concerned with the chassis rust problems of the newer Wranglers....

Bob

airbornrover
07-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice, good catch.

bfmcelroy
07-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Awesome.

Never saw one of these.

Rob P
07-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Cool Bob, very nice. Not an XD which is what I would have assumed any yellow Disco would be. Im still learning. Does it have a center locking differential or the two speed with the crawl under lock? See it at the picnic?

siiirhd88
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
I think the XDs were all D1. From what I have read all of the Kalahari's were 2002 SE's or SE7's, so there is no center diff lock. They were to build 350 Kalahari's, 150 in yellow, 100 in white and 100 in grey, and not all were delivered with the full roof rack, which supposedly had an expanded metal floor. It has SG rock sliders, the "Saudi" mesh grill and cut down front bumper, so no provision for the factory fog lamps.

It has a dark grey and black interior with a woven cloth insert on the seat backs and bottoms, with a few extra trim bits. The wheels have dark grey painted centers with polished rims.

Otherwise it is a standard DII. We pick up a full roof rack on Saturday...

Thanks for the comments. I still need to fix or replace the radio, front sunroof motor and fix the driving lamps. The powder coating is lifting on the ladder and rear lamp guards, so they need the rust cleaned up before repainting. The sagging headliner and left mirror I'll fix later. I'll bring it to the picknic unless I drive on of the Series trucks.

Bob