PDA

View Full Version : Salisbury + traction diff ?

Tom109
08-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm installing a Salisbury in my 109, and before the axle goes in, I'm also considering a traction diff. The ARB is out - too many beer tokens and too many components. Don't get me wrong, the ARB is in-theory the best solution. I'm just not comfortable with that complex of a system on a Series truck. The top contenders are the Detroit locker, and the Trutrac. I have never driven either.

I really like the idea of the Detroit off-road. However, considering on-road use & travel to off-road locations, it seems like the detroit will stress the drive-train. I'm not sure I like this as the whole point of the Salisbury was long-term durability. Off-road it should rock, with the exception being side slopes and the fact that I often pull a trailer.

The Trutrac should act like an open diff except when it's slippery. Again I've never driven one. Since I'm not rock crawling (i.e. lifting wheels), it might be the best solution. The question here is it money well spent, or will I want more.

Anyone have any insight on these choices?

Tom P.

galen211
08-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Tom,

What is the price difference in the tru-trac and detroit? Unless you plan to do some serious stuff I would say the tru-trac will do everything you ever desire.

In the Series there are very few instances where I wished for a traction device. They are so good at just doing what you ask.

crazyfish
08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
I forget what I have in mine, maybe Trevor can speak up since it's still at his shop. Any way... I did notice an improvement at SCC in the slick conditions. Hard turns on pavement got that "clunk". Someday, when I get it back, I'll install it again....

rvrsrvc
08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Currently using Sean's diff as an excellent paperweight.
I like control, and the ARB gives you that. You can pick when you want it and when you don't. Sometimes on a side tilt, you may not want the rear wheels locked together, or at least not have have the diff "locker" engage or disengage each time you get on or off the throttle, but climbing through trail 14 at Rausch Creek, having the control over traction out of the little mud hole near trail 13 is helpful.
As far as shock loading to the 1/2 shafts, any of the limited slips and lockers increase the potential to break one. A trutrac tends to progressively add a torque load to the wheel without grip, but the load then equalises, releases and the process starts all over again, meanwhile the tires increase and decrease their grip, which to me sounds like more stress.
The detroit, from my experience, was noisy and harsh for my on-road driving style: applying power gradually while turning would encourage the locker to lock and suddenly apply power to a pair of super swampers that have a limited contact patch with a soft suspended, top heavy D1. Entertaining in the wet.
The ARB's and compressors are pretty reliable, especially with the lower torque and horsepower generation of a Series Rocket Blue Flame 4 cylinder.
As I said, I like control.
No matter what style you choose, I'd budget for a pair of quality heavier duty half shafts and drive flanges.
So, adjusted for inflation, that's still my 2 pennies.

Tom109
08-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the input.

Agreed, an ARB is the best solution. I'm swapping in the Salisbury to get away from the weaker Rover diff and shafts. I figured I'll either run the open Sals diff, or install a set-it-forget-it traction diff while access is easy.

Since I'll not run anything larger than 7.50x16 or 235/85, and have a 2.25p torque monster, sounds like a TT would be the top choice...

Tom P.

Tom109
09-13-2011, 10:22 PM

Trevor, is this Sean's Detroit, or the Rover diff ?

Tom

rvrsrvc
09-14-2011, 04:44 AM
I picked up his entire 3rd with Detroit for a review as it was rumored to have been assembled in a dark, damp corner of a workshop with a heavy airborn mist of alcohol by trolls.
Going on 3 years now maybe?
Hoping to actually resolve his and Neil's in time for the weekend...

crazyfish
09-14-2011, 07:03 AM
The bolts were backing out and eating into the casing. In case you forget, mine is the perfect one, Neil's is the messed up one....

scatterling
09-14-2011, 01:47 PM
wow, for that comment I think I just scored a 'new' Detroit when I pick up my ARB :p

Ivar
09-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I like control, and the ARB gives you that. You can pick when you want it and when you don't. Sometimes on a side tilt, you may not want the rear wheels locked together, or at least not have have the diff "locker" engage or disengage each time you get on or off the throttle, but climbing through trail 14 at Rausch Creek, having the control over traction out of the little mud hole near trail 13 is helpful.
As far as shock loading to the 1/2 shafts, any of the limited slips and lockers increase the potential to break one. A trutrac tends to progressively add a torque load to the wheel without grip, but the load then equalises, releases and the process starts all over again, meanwhile the tires increase and decrease their grip, which to me sounds like more stress.
The detroit, from my experience, was noisy and harsh for my on-road driving style: applying power gradually while turning would encourage the locker to lock and suddenly apply power to a pair of super swampers that have a limited contact patch with a soft suspended, top heavy D1. Entertaining in the wet.
The ARB's and compressors are pretty reliable, especially with the lower torque and horsepower generation of a Series Rocket Blue Flame 4 cylinder.
As I said, I like control.
No matter what style you choose, I'd budget for a pair of quality heavier duty half shafts and drive flanges.
So, adjusted for inflation, that's still my 2 pennies.

I wish I knew what the hell you are talking about! When can I have a lesson??

Tom109
01-18-2012, 08:35 AM
OK, so the TT arrives, Salisbury disassembled and it turns out Eaton doesn't make a 4.7 TT for he Sals! They sent a 3.45 TT (!?) which would require machining and a custom spacer to fit. Go figure.

Still not happy with plumbing to run a selectable locker, so I'll be installing a Detroit.

Sean - since you're not using your HD shafts, can I have them?

Tom P.